[Healeys] Gearbox oil

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Wed Nov 2 03:24:38 MDT 2016

If there are bronze/brass baulk/synchro rings in the gearbox it is best
to be on the safe side and not use EP oils that contain halogens F, Cl,
Br, I as these may attack the bronze/brass components. Sunbeam for that
matter stipulated to use SEA 30 or 20W50 engine oil. I do not see a
reason to take the risk using EP oils. They do not ad much if anything.
Straight or detergent containing does not matter much if you change the
oil on a regular basis as prescribed in those days. Oil is cheap so I
change the oil in my gearbox every time I change the engine oil, i.e.
once a year. Use a drain plug with a magnet.

Modern gearboxes may not even have a drain plug as the oil is never
changed and we have become used to that!

Kees Oudesluijs