[Healeys] Engine Mounts

michael.salter at gmail.com michael.salter at gmail.com
Sun Nov 13 10:35:03 MST 2016

Hi Dave,

Not sure how relevant this is but I have noticed that most rubber to steel bonding seems to start at the edges, particularly on original components.

I am inclined to believe that a large contributing factor in the steel to rubber bond is actually caused by corrosion of the steel.

Also usually it seems that the oxidation of the rubber is a quite thin layer and the underlying rubber is still in perfect condition although very old.

Of course this is not always the case as very deep cracks in the engine mount rubber blocks are not uncommon.

Just my observations.

Michael S

BN1 #174

With original BSF thread engine mounts..

Correct diagnosis is half of the repair.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 11:20 AM -0500, "David Porter" <frogeye at porterscustom.com> wrote:

Rubber continues to vulcanize throughout it's life time. As such
      it hardens and shrinks and eventually pulls the adhesive away from
      the mounts. Perhaps, one could use the new body panel epoxy's to
      reattach the rubber, but you would still have a very hard rubber
      buffer....

dp

    On 11/12/2016 5:24 PM, WILLIAM B
      LAWRENCE wrote:

The current thought is that rubber ages as well as being
            detrimentally affected by UV and environmental ozone. As
            such we are told not to use tires that are over six years
            old. I think the same thing happens to other rubber parts as
            well. I've installed rubber plugs and grommets on my BN1
            that deteriorated with 6 months of installation. For that
            reason I won't buy "NOS" rubber parts and I think any new
            rubber parts should be date coded.