[Healeys] Coolant Expansion Bottle

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Mon Nov 14 13:37:21 MST 2016

G'day

I know the subject of fitting a coolant expansion bottle has been covered
before, but this has a twist as it concerns a Healey and not an
Austin-Healey.

Our Healey Duncan has its original cooling system that is unpressurised.
It's assisted by an electric fan in front of the radiator, but with our
warmer climate it persists is dumping its coolant out through the overflow
pipe.

The radiator cap is a screw on type and the overflow pipe exits the radiator
header tank separately in front of the cap. Being unpressurised there is
nothing to stop the hot and expanded coolant from exiting via the overflow
pipe.

I am thinking of fitting a coolant expansion bottle but am wondering if this
will work on an unpressurised system. It seems to me that it should not make
any difference, because if the coolant cannot escape to the outside world
when it expands then it should flow back into the radiator once it cools.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia