[Healeys] Healey Cars total

Patrick & Caroline Quinn p_cquinn at tpg.com.au
Mon Sep 26 15:24:32 MDT 2016

Hello

In the mid to late 1940s the UK was starved for cars and if you could find one they were very expensive. Healey cars were directed to the well-heeled and the rolling chassis alone was around £900 before tax. My Healey Duncan complete would have set you back £2,876 inc tax. If you check out on Google what that would be worth today that will be around US$140K. It didn’t help that the British government taxed any car below £1,000 at 33% and for those above £1,000 at 66%.

However the DHMC was going backwards financially and if it wasn’t for an injection of cash through DMH’s meeting with George Mason of Nash-Kelvinator that led to the Nash-Healey the company would have folded and there would be no such thing as an Austin-Healey.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn

Blue Mountains, Australia