[Healeys] BJ8 gearbox rebuild

Larry Varley varley at cosmos.net.au
Thu Jun 8 06:01:54 MDT 2017

Hi Andy, well you have probably raised the most interesting question
posted on this list for a long time. I'm well aware of the modification
Austin used on the BJ8 gearbox and have even modified earlier gearbox
parts to the BJ8 pattern,Yes the concept is to prevent the synco from
the gear you are changing from carrying the load to the gear you are
changing to which is a design fault in the earlier gearboxes. The pins
are supposed to prevent the hub from pressing it backwards, but I have
never checked if they actually do their job. You obviously have an
inquiring mind, well done. lets see who can add to the discussion.

Regards

Larry Varley