[Healeys] Sump removal

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Dec 6 13:46:47 MST 2018

I had to do this recently.  If it's stuck on with an adhesive
sealant--Right Stuff, etc.--you are screwed.  I ended up sawing through
the hardened sealant with a large, serrated knife (the kind you carve a
turkey with).  I hurt my elbow, perhaps permanently, but had no choice
as the pan was cracked and part of the blade broke off in the pan.  I
used a gasket and a sealant when I reinstalled the pan; theoretically if
I need to remove it again I can saw through the gasket.  I might buy an
electric carving knife just to do this, but I'm not sure you could get
the blade started.

3M Adhesive Remover softened the lingering sealant (you know it's
good--the 3M stuff--because it's banned in California).  Then, it's lots
of scraping.

Bob

ps.  When I was looking for a 'magic answer' I found videos and photos
of people lifting small block Chevy engines by the carburettor
studs--with the bolts removed--on the manifold, which had been affixed
with Right Stuff sealant.