[Healeys] Strange Timing Setting

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Sun Feb 11 17:29:52 MST 2018

The question I have for Patrick is: Considering that the crank shaft goes around twice for every single rotation of the cam, how do you know whether the #1 piston is at TDC at the end of the compression/beginning of the power stroke or at the end of the exhaust/beginning of the intake stroke? I.E. The #1 piston is at TDC twice in a 4 cycle engine. What method are you using to determine which cycle you are on? The fact that the pointer is pointing at the mark/slot on the harmonic damper is not enough.

To be at TDC on the compression/power stroke the inlet & exhaust valves should not be open. If the rockers are loose (I.E. the valves are closed) your are on the correct stroke. If the rockers are not loose you are either not on the correct stroke or your cam timing is not correct.

Gary Hodson