[Healeys] Mating OD to gearbox

Fred Wescoe fredwescoe at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 13:56:53 MST 2018

Bob,

I was faced with this and here is what I did on my 63 BJ 7.  I slid the
trans/od into place as far as it would go.  This left about an inch or so
gap between the bell housing and the block.  With the trans/od in this
position, the trans splines are lined up but not the OD splines.  Now,
using heavy wire (with the trans/od still almost installed)(I used
mechanics wire), wire the drive flange to the trans case using several of
the holes of the drive flange (I used all of them).  Be sure the wires are
tight so the drive flange cannot move even a fraction.  This will hold the
drive flange (and the trans splines) in place.  Now remove the trans/od and
line up the od splines with the trans splines.  Without moving anything
else, the trans/od should slide into place with no problem.  Mine went in
so easily that I did not realize it was actually in.  Cut the wires on the
drive flange and you are ready to proceed.

Good luck.

Fred
63 BJ 7 deceased
66 BJ 8