[Healeys] MORE: Generator?

jim ab7vf at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 18:42:24 MDT 2018

 Hi Michael,

First I checked the field winding's continuity with an ohmmeter. It isn't open, but I have no way of knowing what the correct resistance should be (there may be shorted windings for all I know).

Then I tied the output terminal (D) to the field winding terminal (F) with a short robust clip lead.

In any case, when I run the engine with the generator windings tied together and disconnected from the car's wiring, I get about 12 volts DC. If I rev the engine to 3000 RPM, the voltage doesn't rise. That seems to me to indicate a flaky generator.
Maybe a bit late but has the thing been sitting for a while ...If so, the generator may just need to be polarized...

Jim