[Healeys] Wood top bow

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Sun Dec 15 15:20:59 MST 2019

I’ve thought about it often. Mine’s OK but no more than OK. It’s been tacked and stapled so often that it looks like it’s had woodworm.

I concluded that, when/if I do it, I’ll make it out of layers of marine ply. Make all the layers consistently oversize by about 10%, reduce it down a little with a draw knife then finish it off with one of those sand paper thingies on a foam rubber roller. (Used in an electric drill. Done outside as the sawdust comes off in clouds!) Those things are brilliant for making compound curves in wood. I first used one when I made my eldest daughter a large Victorian style rocking horse. Keeping the original close bow to hand and an accurate set of calipers should get a precise end result. Finish off with epoxy and a layer or two of some sort of sealer/preservative.

I’d do it and good luck to you if you do.

Simon