[Healeys] LED Headlights

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 22:48:52 MST 2019

So ... all the talk of just plugging in an H4 bulb in an existing
reflector won't work for us/US?  No intentional snark--for once--I
really don't know the rules for headlamps.  Everything I've got--going
back to 1946, I think--is sealed beam.  Not something I've paid much
attention to (until now).

No comparison between HID and LED; my old Mustang had HID, which I
thought were good, but the new one has LED.  When I turned the HIDs on,
there was a momentary burst of very bright light, then they 'settled
down.'  I presumed that was because the xenon had to get an amplified
charge to illuminate (like florescents). The LEDs illuminate everything
in about a 120deg spread,  below about 10 feet on low beams (do the new
LED kits have this feature?).  This is old news, I'm sure, for anybody
who's bought a new car with LEDs in the last few years, but it's a
revelation for me.

Bob

ps.  Anybody know the story why the US mandates sealed beams?