[Healeys] BJ8 Voltage regulator

Oliver Viitamaki ov at telus.net
Sun Jun 30 18:42:08 MDT 2019

     What is the current thought on getting a replacement for a RB340
Voltage Regulator? Which supplier? I'm at the moment not interested in
sending the regulator in for a rebuild.

     The car is still positive ground, and I'm leaning to a replacement
mechanical regulator, assuming that a Lucas one can be found. I can be
convinced to go electronic, and convert to negative ground, given enough
evidence.

      Background: I went to wash the car, and noticed that the red
Ignition light came on, as it should, when the key was turned, went off
as expected when the engine was idling. As soon as the engine was
speed-ed up, at about 1500 rpm, the ignition light would brighten, come
back on. Troubleshooting so far, I completed the Lucas RB340 generator
checkout, procedure successfully, and as a crosscheck, I successfully
ran it as a motor. Then I turned my focus to the Lucas RB340 regulator
checkout procedure, and it showed that Open Circuit setting out of spec,
could not be adjusted in and the swamp resistor was out of spec.

     ov