[Healeys] SU Dashpot puzzle

Perry healeyguy at aol.com
Sun Oct 6 16:24:44 MDT 2019

Simon
I thought I had written to you about the “shoulder” issue previously but I don’t see it in my mailbox.

The “shoulder” is really where the dash pot vent is located.  Some SU’s have none, but have a vented cap, some have one internal vent and some have two. Since this vent is a connection to suction chamber for the small chamber above the oil damper just under the cap, it would appear that the use of more than one vent has a bearing on the efficient operation of the SU on that engine or application.

When the engine is cranking or running, the flow of air through the SU carb body reduces the pressure (lower than atmospheric, suction) in the suction chamber or dash pot. On most SU’s there is a set of holes above where the carb and air cleaner are joined.  Those holes ultimately connect to the inside of the suction chamber. That reduced pressure slightly raises the piston and richens the air fuel mixture. Much like our 100 starts much easier when cold by not only pulling the choke by lightly pressing on the gas pedal.

I have searched through many SU manuals and various write-ups  on SU carbs and this particular aspect of the SU’s does not seem to be a topic of concern or discussion.  Suspect that the vents, both size and number, have a lot to do with meeting the design specs for the application. The piston drop is one that comes to mind. How fast does the piston fall to idle when the driver is off the throttle?  The spring size probably is the biggest factor but pressures inside and outside the carb has some bearing.

The Engineer in me wants to know the answers but the retired guy in me says I don’t need to know. What I do need to adhere to is the original design of the parts.  IE: If there is a gasket on the air cleaner /carb interface originally, is it there and fit correctly?  If there are holes on the carb body, either for fuel or air flow are they clean/unobstructed.

Whether your HD6’s had a single or double suction chamber vent, I have yet to find the answer. I do suspect that if they are supposed to have single vents but now has double vents, something may not work as designed.
Perry

Sent from Mail for Windows 10