[Healeys] Down pipes

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 17 09:57:15 MDT 2019

Fred – Kees is right.  I believe that the problem is the split washers.  The factory used a flat washer only – no lock washer at all -  along with the special tall brass nut.  The idea is that the less material there is for expansion / contraction. in that very hot environment, the less chance of problems.  I have been using a thin stainless flat washer for years on both Healeys – I’ve never had loosening problems (they need to be checked after the initial few start cycles, say 100 miles or so, and then maybe at the next service).  I’ve also never torqued the flange nuts, just tightened them hard.

As a related aside, I’ve had better success over the years with the copper faced flange gaskets.  The other type seems to blow out a bit easier.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BJ8, BT7 tri-carb