[Healeys] Distributor guy

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Aug 24 05:23:26 MDT 2022

Same here. I've got over 100K miles on a Pertronix in my BJ8 with nary a
problem. My BN2, and my dad's '55 T-Bird and '65 Mustang had Pertronix
in them when I sold them, and we never had a problem with any of them.
The BN2 Pertronix is unique, I think, in that it didn't use a magnet
collar on the distributor shaft; I guess the shape of the lobes was
enough to trigger the 'contacts' (would be hard to fit one under that
dinky cap anyway).

Until a few years ago I took a long road trip every year; up to 5,000
miles. I didn't want to have to file/re-time or otherwise futz with
points in a motel parking lot. Why do you think many/most modern cars
can go up to 100K without a 'tuneup?' ... no distributors at all, and
exotic metal plugs (but don't get me started on coil-on-plug--it took
the OEMs a while to figure those out).