[Healeys] Wix 51516XP oil filter

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Tue Nov 8 06:55:32 MST 2022

Anyone seen the Ferrari engines with a large, usually Fram(!) oil filter
mounted upside-down on top of each cylinder bank? I've always wondered
1) why Ferrari did this and 2) how do you keep from dumping 2qts. of
dirty oil on the engine when you change them out?

Although the rubber--I think most are silicone now--anti-drainback
valves are a good idea, I think they allow most of the oil to drain back
eventually except, of course, when the filters are mounted business-end
up. They also only seal-up the inlet holes, so if the filter gets tipped
oil will drain out quickly from the outlet hole.