[Healeys] Water pump recommendations

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Dec 21 08:56:41 MST 2023

I bought the 'uprated' pump by Bastuck from BPNW (the AHSpares offering
appears to be an unbranded version, or maybe a copy). The impeller
appears to be somewhat more effective design, and the gap between the
impeller and the pump body is, I think, smaller than OEM so would likely
flow better. The threads on it won't fit the OEM valve--I think
everything's metric on it--and it comes with a barbed nipple. As
previously reported, the hole on the top of the pump--anyone know what
that's for?--comes with a plug that doesn't plug; I tried everything to
get it to seal, and ruined a pump in my attempts. I finally found a way,
and may use it to seal an O/D drain plug if it continues to leak. It
works fine, but I haven't had the car out on a hot day. I don't think
coolant flow is the cause of overheating, esp. at idle; it's mainly due
to lack of airflow through the engine bay, lack of a shroud, etc.

I was so desperate I even tried a County pump, bought from Tom Monaco
but sourced by Moss. The bearing felt rough and and I didn't install it;
I returned it, and Tom had to jump through hoops to get a refund but he
came through. Tom knows a rebuilder in Oregon who rebuilt an OEM pump
for me, but it's currently riding in the boot. I don't have the invoice,
but Tom would tell you if you gave him a call.

Bob