[Healeys] Swapping distributors

simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com simon.lachlan at alexarevel.plus.com
Thu Jun 15 04:49:46 MDT 2023

You may recall that I asked if there was an easy method of swapping
distributors ie doing it at the roadside without being overly troubled by
timing issues.

Replies varied.

In the end, I bought another base plate which I put onto my spare Lucas
(points).

I marked the base plate of the 123 and the top of the turret upon which it
sat. ie so there was a datum(?) point to which to return. Used a Dremel.

I did the same for the Lucas after getting it timed. I made the marks on the
other side ie to the left of the distributor.

I removed the Lucas, located the 123 back on its mark and, hey presto, it
works.

One surprise
in my ignorance, I thought that, if the 123’s rotor arm faced
at, say, 12 o’clock, then so would the Lucas’. Both could only align one way
with their gears’ physical connection to the turret upon which they sit??
Well, yes, the gears could only align identically but the rotor arms were
about 30° out. ie  123’s at 12 o’clock and the Lucas’ at +/- 2 o’clock. Both
are working at 15°/idle

.Who’d have guessed it?

One other thing
..I was going to put my Pertronix back into the Lucas. Can’t
have two electronic ignitions fail in one day, can you? However, it seems
that I’d put points back in because I’d lost the collar (“magnetic ring”).
Actually, I forget what I did, but it’s gone anyhow. Like my memory perhaps.
My unit is marked LU-165. I don’t suppose anyone has a spare one??

Simon