[Healeys] Mating the overdrive to the transmission

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Mon Jun 19 21:08:54 MDT 2023

There is a bronze thrust washer that has to be perfectly centered to get
that last 3/4" (#148 in this diagram):

https://mossmotors.com/ahy-041-overdrive-unit-bn2-thru-bj8

You can wiggle it around with a long screwdriver, or use a suitable
'drift' to center it. Your best bet is to sit the O/D on end and lower
the gearbox onto it; gently rotating the gearbox while lowering. First
time I did this I must have got lucky, but danged if I can explain this
(see attached photo). Most recently I fought for a couple days then
threw in the towel and took gearbox and O/D to BCS which, fortunately,
is only a half-hour away. David and his mechanics had a novel technique
I've not heard described anywhere; basically, he removed the pump
completely--it's only two screws IIRC--and split the O/D into front and
rear sections and tipped the gearbox and O/D up--gearbox on bottom--then
had two of his mechanics pull the sections together with huge
channellock pliers while David rotated the output shaft to 'feel it in'
(you had to be there).

Good luck. Make triply sure you have the pump cam oriented correctly, or
you'll get more experience with this process than you probably want.

bs