[Healeys] WG: Re: BJ8 1967 Engine Rebuild failure

josef-eckert at t-online.de josef-eckert at t-online.de
Fri Feb 9 14:07:31 MST 2024

Bob,
Perhaps you can ask Mike Salter. He may still have short blocks for sale.
Josef Eckert
Königswinter/Germany

    Gentlemen:

    I arrived back to Florida in May and decide to drive my 67
    Austin-Healey.  Drove it a mile and heard clanking engine, looked at
    the oil pressure, It was O! Instead of stooping to have towed home, I
    drove it back slowly.  Last month, I dropped the pan and started to
    remove the rod and crank caps and bearings.  My mechanic friend said
    you got lucky the crank may only need polishing and new bearings.  So,
    I packed and marked each of the main bearing caps, bolts, and bearings
    along with piston rods and caps in individual plastic bags. Then packed
    them into a larger plastic bag which was put under the workbench near
    the garbage.  We towed the car to Mikes garage so he could pull and
    disassemble the engine.  Tuesday, he asked me to bring the parts I had
    removed from the engine so he would have everything in one place.  I
    looked around but could not find this black plastic bag and then
    remembered it got pitched in the garbage. So, I am now up the famous
    creek and am asking this group what I can do?

       1. I am told the engine is finished because the Main Bearing caps
          are not available and even if you could find them, they would
          need to be line bored on the engine.
       2. I am told that finding an engine block for a 3000 with original
          main bearing caps is almost impossible.
       3. Finding an engine to be rebuild might be possible.

    My engine was rebuilt 6000 miles with years ago everything new, so I
    would like to find a way of fixing the existing engine, if possible.

    Please give me your advice.

    Best regards,

    Bob Begani

    67 Austin-Healey BJ8