[Healeys] BJ8 1967 Engine Rebuild failure

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sat Feb 10 09:26:43 MST 2024

The most rational, pragmatic swap at this point would be to an electric
motor and batteries; done right, it would blow the doors off an LS or
Coyote swap (up to a 100MPH or so, I wouldn't push a Healey chassis much
past that, for long anyway-BTDT). How many owners do more than day trips
anyway (my days of 5K mile trips are, unfortunately, in the past).

I wanted a big V8-powered car with all the modern improvements, so I
bought a Mustang GT and left my Healeys as Austins (Jensens) un-mutated,
and without the 20-50% drop in market value* (my survivors will have to
sell my Healeys someday). 475HP--480 if I could get 93-octane--disks all
around (Brembos in front), electric throttle and steering (several
modes), 19x9/10 wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport 4ses, IRS, MagneRide
and Steeda suspension upgrades (the IRS is a bit shaky); 0-60 under 5s
(supposedly; I'm not good enough and the A10s are quicker). Bigger and
heavier; I reckon a Nasty Boy would take me on a narrow twisty, but on
the sweepers and straights it's sayonara. The Mustang hauls ass, and
it's fun, but the Austin-Healeys are simply more satisfying to drive--by
far--warts and all.

Disclaimer: I am very much an "It's your car, do what you want with it"
person. I've made small mods to my cars: Pertonix Ignitors in both;
taller rear-end for highway driveability, Texas Cooler with shroud in
the BJ8 but I never have, and never will, understand why people buy a
car they don't actually want just to change it (owners with
broken/missing engines who think 'Why not?' I can see). Why not buy a
Saxon and build it up the way you want it from scratch? Oh, and for the
record, I don't much care for breast implants either; just not the same.

* Just my observations from BaT, FB, mailing lists, etc.; I've yet to
see a Nasty Boy cross the block at B-J or Mecums--doen't mean it hasn't
happened--but the muscle car 'restomods' with SBCs, LSes, etc. are a
dime-a-dozen and, IMO, not particularly unique or imaginative (they do
have garish paint jobs though).