Subject: [JAGNUTS] ZDDP in Oil

From: "JAGNUTS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 14:05:33 -0600

A bit of info on ZDDP in oils for flat tappet engines from the Jaglovers
E-Type list ... Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Bloggins
Sent: October 13, 2007 9:46 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [E-Type] Break-in Oil

In reply to a message from Bill Franklin sent Sat 13 Oct 2007:

Bill,

I think what you're referring to is the elimination of the
additive ZDDP from modern oil formulations. My understanding
is that ZDDP contaminates catalytic converters so, to live
up to the required 100,000 warranty on pollution control
systems on modern cars, it was eliminated from modern oils.
This means that oils we have relied on for years are not
actually the same product anymore. Castrol GTX 20/50, for
instance, no longer contains any ZDDP. Castrol has
acknowledged ontheir website that this is a problem for
older flat tappet engine designs 

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=9017132&contentI
=7032578

Apparently this lack of ZDDP is especially problematic
during the break-in period and the web is rife with stories
of failures of freshly rebuilt motors. I strongly recommend
you look into this before running your engine
 
Oils formulated for diesels, which don't run cat converters,
still contain ZDDP and GM markets a product called EOS that
is very highly touted
--
Tom Morris  '62 E-type FHC (885688)
Sechelt, British Columbia, Canada