Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Help needed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 05:31:13 -0000

So what if it is a genuine parts car with no engine or running gear that
you do intend to put back on the road? I'm looking at a 40 year old Ferrari
in Europe.

Glen

------------------------------------------
Date:  	Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:14:50 -0600
From: 	Andrew Martens <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Subject: 	Re: [JAGNUTS] Help needed

Having recently done this... There are two steps to importing from the US.
The first is getting US customs to permit the vehicle's export. They require
the title and transfer/bill of sale to be presented with the vehicle to
ensure stolen vehicles are not being exported. When approved for export, the
buyer then presents the car to the Cdn customs who check the US exportation
approval, charge the reqd  GST and duties (for non-US cars under 25 years
old). If under 15 years, there are additional requirements (vehicle mods,
etc). Several web sites are useful -- see www.riv.ca and
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/cgi-bin/jsearch3.cgi

What I can remember about a  parts/salvage car is that customs must be
convinced (and you must certify) that it cannot and will not be returned to
operating condition. It must have a salvage title. There is no free lunch.
see http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/cn319/cn319-e.html

In other words, if the seller wants to sell the car bad enough, he should be
the one to obtain a replacement title. There are procedures for doing so,
including online title services. Importing a car is hassle enough, without a
non-title situation.

andrew
73 MGB-GT (30 yrs in San Francisco, 1 yr in Regina)

----- Original Message -----
From: "G.R. Green" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, November 26, 2004 10:01 PM
Subject: [JAGNUTS] Help needed

> Hi guys,
> I have a $64 question for you.  Are any of you familiar with bringing a
vehicle across the line from the USA?  This car does not have a title and
that seems to be a problem.  Any suggestions?
>
> Someone suggested that if nothing else worked you could bring it across as
parts. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to that but if you strip it down as
for parts, how far down would it have to be stripped?
>
> Gloria
> _______________________________________________
> JAGNUTS Regina  -  mailing list
> REPLY TO : [email-masked]
> http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/Jagnuts.htm
> _______________________________________________
_______________________________________________
JAGNUTS Regina  -  mailing list
REPLY TO : [email-masked]
http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/Jagnuts.htm
_______________________________________________

---

From: Andrew Martens <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:42:09 -0600

Imports from other than the US are a different game altogether. I have not
found sufficient info online about the rules and limitations on non-US
imports other than "contact Transport Canada", so I would advise contacting
the Regina customs office, and Transport Canada - see para 19 in the
following link.

You can refer to http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d9-1-11/d9-1-11-e.html esp.
paragraphs 25 and 34.  for a start.

It would not appear to be best to use the "parts car" route for a car that
will be put on the road.

Andrew