Subject: RE: [JAGNUTS] Thanksgiving puzzle

From: "Luigi Mazzotti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:50:43 -0600

Andrew
The year of your car probably does not have any electronic components,
but if it does check them out.  Even if you think there are none check
the Owner's manual.  My 82 Alfa had a similar problem which was traced
back to the on board 'brain'.  It took a few hours to trace the
electrical problem - a broken circuit.
This is only my suggestion.

Luigi
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Andrew
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 12:43 PM
To: JAGNUT list
Subject: [JAGNUTS] Thanksgiving puzzle

I would appreciate your help in diagnosing the following problem. There
could be prizes!

the 73 MGB GT ran fine one evening. The next day, it turned over fine,
fired a few times but would not run. There is ample fuel, a coil swap
made no difference, there is good spark on the coil wire going to the
dizzy, but there does not seem to be a spark when grounding  any of the
sparkplug lead ends. The points and condenser were replace a few months
ago, and the points are properly gapped. When the ignition is on, there
is only a slight spark/arc when manually opening/closing the points. I
don't have a spare condenser, so I haven't test-swapped it.

any suggestions?

thanks
andrew
_______________________________________________
JAGNUTS Regina  -  mailing list 
REPLY TO : [email-masked]
http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/Jagnuts.htm
_______________________________________________

---

From: "Luigi Mazzotti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:51:33 -0600

Andrew
John has better suggestions than mine.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of John Kutarna
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 1:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Thanksgiving puzzle

Andrew:
Sounds like your points are grounding out - the post that holds the
spring
arm of the movable point needs an insulating washer. Is it worn through
or
maybe cracked? Failing this I'd look for carbon tracking on your coil,
rotor
or distributor cap. Also it is possible that the adjustment on the
points
has gone off and there is insufficient time for the coil to build up a
strong spark. By the way have you checked the oil level in the carb
pots?
Good luck!
[email-masked]
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew" <[email-masked]>
To: "JAGNUT list" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 12:43 PM
Subject: [JAGNUTS] Thanksgiving puzzle

could be prizes!
fired a few times but would not run. There is ample fuel, a coil swap
made
no difference, there is good spark on the coil wire going to the dizzy,
but
there does not seem to be a spark when grounding  any of the sparkplug
lead
ends. The points and condenser were replace a few months ago, and the
points
are properly gapped. When the ignition is on, there is only a slight
spark/arc when manually opening/closing the points. I don't have a spare
condenser, so I haven't test-swapped it.

---

From: "Dave Sebastien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:18:41 +0000

Andrew, If you are sure that there is spark from the coil lead and 
not from the plug leads then this can only be a bad rotor, if you pull the 
rotor off and look at the bottom side you will see a black spot where the 
spark has shorted to the dist. shaft , the spark is supposed to follow the 
rotor as it rotates and contact each pin inside the cap, from there along 
the lead to each plug individually in time.  Dave

>From: "Luigi Mazzotti" <[email-masked]>
>Reply-To: [email-masked]
>To: <[email-masked]>
>Subject: RE: [JAGNUTS] Thanksgiving puzzle
>Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:50:43 -0600
>
>Andrew

_________________________________________________________________
Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet has 
to offer. 
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines 
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSN. Premium right now and get the 
first two months FREE*.