Subject: [JAGNUTS] FW: [E-Type] Drilling out a stud

From: "JAGNUTS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 20:27:02 -0600

I thought this tip would be of interest to everyone.  Great, simple idea.

Bob
http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/jagnuts.htm
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of IanCameron
Sent: November 07, 2007 1:13 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [E-Type] Drilling out a stud

My neighbour was winterizing his outboard engine and 
managed to break one of the three little studs that hold 
the thermostat housing. I drilled it out, using a technique 
that I thought was universal, but he'd never seen, so I 
thought I'd post it here, in case it's not as well known as 
I thought. 

If you go to any good hobby store, you can buy thin wall 
brass tubes with ID from about 1/16'' to 1/4''  (You can get 
larger, but it's not as common.) These tubes are a slip fit 
into one another, so you can make a nest going from 1/16'' 
up to 1/4'' in 1/32'' increments. The OD of his stud was 5/
32'', so I slipped a 5/32'' ID tube over it with three tubes 
inside. I used a 1/16'' drill bit (left hand thread, but it 
really doesn't matter) and drilled in about 1/2''. I took 
the smallest tube out, replaced the drill bit with a 3/32'', 
and then repeated with a 1/8'' bit. By this time there was a 
thin shell left, which came out easily with an EZ Out. As 
long as there is a tiny stub of the stud protruding, it 
works great.
--
1969 4.2 Series 2 E Type
Brentwood Bay, B.C., Canada
--Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]--