Subject: [JAGNUTS] Help..Project X 1/9

From: Ken Exner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 10:12:43 -0600

Hi all, I am seeking the advice and assistance of any and all Jagnuts in an
up-and-coming project. This winter I am endeavouring to do an electric car
conversion on my 79 Fait X 1/9 I hear tell that it is not as hard as it
sounds. I have started my investigation of the process and the search for
parts and recourses. What I need are some forward thinking individuals that
would be willing to assist me in a number of ways. 1. Encouragement
2.Technical advice 3. A good sense of reasoning (someone to tell me that I
am crazy and I shouldnt do that. 4. someone that knows, perhaps where I
might source some cheap parts.

What I have so far: a heated shop to work in, tools (most if not all to
complete the task, what I dont have I will get), resource material, the
donor car, and last but not least an adventurous spirit and a willingness to
learn something new.

If done correctly this car should be able to travel at least 50 mph and go
for at least 100 miles between charges.
Ultimately I want to be able to use a solar charging system to make driving
this car Free.  The possibilities are endless as to where this will go next.

What I offer in return is obvious, camaraderie, an opportunity to
participate in an interesting project, the occasional glass of the proper
liquids to stimulate the creative juices, reciprocation of talents (what few
I have) and resources on your up-and-coming projects, a share in the credit
upon successful completion of the project.

Anyone interested?

 Ken Exner

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of image001.gif]

---

From: "Jennifer & Glen Perchie" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 18:38:06 -0600

Ken:

I haven't much clue on this, but I'd love to come play.

Glen

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	[email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]  On Behalf Of Ken Exner
Sent:	November 18, 2008 10:13 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Subject:	[JAGNUTS] Help..Project X  1/9

Anyone interested?

 Ken Exner

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
image001.gif]
_______________________________________________
JAGNUTS Regina  -  mailing list
REPLY TO : [email-masked]
http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/Jagnuts.htm
_______________________________________________

---

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:23:24 -0600

I volunteer to heckle and supervise.  My technical skills at a conversion
such as this may be a bit wanting (actually counterproductive), but I'll be
glad to help out as time allows.  Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
On Behalf Of Jennifer & Glen Perchie
Sent: November 18, 2008 6:38 PM
To: JAGNUTS Regina
Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Help..Project X 1/9

Ken:

Glen

 -----Original Message-----

Anyone interested?

 Ken Exner

---

From: Mike <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:29:29 -0600

Hi Ken,

   I think a Fiat may be too light a platform to make a successful  electric 
car...The batteries are 600 to 1000 lbs.  I do have a complete set of plans 
to make a Ford Ranger quarter ton into an electric vehicle, but I realize 
you want the Fiat. You're welcome to have a look at the plans I have, incase 
there are any usable ideas that would work .  Good luck!

Mike.

-- --- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ken Exner" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:12 AM
Subject: [JAGNUTS] Help..Project X 1/9

---

From: Ken Exner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 19:41:29 -0600

Well Glen and Bob that is exactly the help that I am interested in,
expertise and non-experts alike are welcome I am sure that your
contributions will be valuable just the same. I have had some short
discussions with Gerard today and he has helped just by asking some
questions and reaffirming some suspicions that I already had and has pointed
me in a direction of some possible parts already.  So I am one step closer
to completion already.

Before I get started on the actual work I will need to sort out my tools and
get the shop straightened out ..I started last week and will make some more
room this weekend. Right now things are a bit tight but getting there,  I
will email you both later on using your home address so as not to flood the
forum with too much chatter about my project.

Thanks for your offer

Ken Exner     306-539-8512             http://www.tsilimo.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Bob
Sent: November 18, 2008 7:23 PM
To: 'JAGNUTS Regina'
Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Help..Project X 1/9

-----Original Message-----

Ken:

Glen

 -----Original Message-----

Anyone interested?

 Ken Exner

---

From: "Thomas Archer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:10:09 -0600

Ken,
I realize I'm still the newbie to the group(the Land Rover guy) and
don't get a chance to visit every Sunday, but I would love to assist
when I can. I have a background in electronics (although I haven't used
that knowledge in quite some time) but if I can lend assistance I think
it would be an interesting project to explore.

Here's a Discovery Channel show that features an electric Series Land
Rover
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSV_46y6ufs

At least it's British!

Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of Ken Exner
Sent: November-18-08 7:41 PM
To: JAGNUTS Regina
Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Help..Project X 1/9

Well Glen and Bob that is exactly the help that I am interested in,
expertise and non-experts alike are welcome I am sure that your
contributions will be valuable just the same. I have had some short
discussions with Gerard today and he has helped just by asking some
questions and reaffirming some suspicions that I already had and has
pointed
me in a direction of some possible parts already.  So I am one step
closer
to completion already.

Before I get started on the actual work I will need to sort out my tools
and
get the shop straightened out ..I started last week and will make some
more
room this weekend. Right now things are a bit tight but getting there,
I
will email you both later on using your home address so as not to flood
the
forum with too much chatter about my project.

Thanks for your offer

-----Original Message-----

I volunteer to heckle and supervise.  My technical skills at a
conversion
such as this may be a bit wanting (actually counterproductive), but I'll
be
glad to help out as time allows.  Bob

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[email-masked]]

Ken:

Glen

 -----Original Message-----

Hi all, I am seeking the advice and assistance of any and all Jagnuts in
an
up-and-coming project. This winter I am endeavouring to do an electric
car
conversion on my 79 Fait X 1/9 I hear tell that it is not as hard as it
sounds. I have started my investigation of the process and the search
for
parts and recourses. What I need are some forward thinking individuals
that
would be willing to assist me in a number of ways. 1. Encouragement
2.Technical advice 3. A good sense of reasoning (someone to tell me that
I
am crazy and I shouldnt do that. 4. someone that knows, perhaps where I
might source some cheap parts.

What I have so far: a heated shop to work in, tools (most if not all to
complete the task, what I dont have I will get), resource material, the
donor car, and last but not least an adventurous spirit and a
willingness to
learn something new.

If done correctly this car should be able to travel at least 50 mph and
go
for at least 100 miles between charges.
Ultimately I want to be able to use a solar charging system to make
driving
this car Free.  The possibilities are endless as to where this will go
next.

What I offer in return is obvious, camaraderie, an opportunity to
participate in an interesting project, the occasional glass of the
proper
liquids to stimulate the creative juices, reciprocation of talents (what
few
I have) and resources on your up-and-coming projects, a share in the
credit
upon successful completion of the project.

Anyone interested?

 Ken Exner

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name
of
image001.gif]

---

From: Kevin Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 11:54:55 -0600

Hi Ken,

I have been wanting to do something like this for a couple of years but
have no money/time/space for this kind of project.  I have done a lot of
reading online about electric conversions and I can point you to a couple
of good resources that I have found.  My skills as a mechanic are
extremely wanting but I wouldn't mind spending an evening or two lifting
heavy weights when that becomes necessary.  Or I could sweep up after the
real mechanics.

There is an online diary by a guy in Calgary.  He converted a 1996 saturn
to electric a couple of years ago and documented every step in a daily
log.  It is very useful reading and he sounds like the type of guy who
would be willing to help out with advice if you contact him.

He bought his parts from a company in BC that specializes in electric
conversions.  If i recall correctly they have adapter plates for a large
number of existing vehicles to connect an electric motor to the existing
transmission.  They can make a custom plate on request.  The name of the
company will be in his diary somewhere.

The diary is at www.evsupersite.net

Cheers

Kevin Smith, PMP
Project Manager
306-337-5697
[email-masked]

Ken Exner <[email-masked]>
Sent by: [email-masked]
11/18/2008 10:12 AM
Please respond to
JAGNUTS Regina <[email-masked]>

To
[email-masked]
cc

Subject
[JAGNUTS] Help..Project X  1/9

What I have so far: a heated shop to work in, tools (most if not all to
complete the task, what I dont have I will get), resource material, the
donor car, and last but not least an adventurous spirit and a willingness
to
learn something new.

Anyone interested?

 Ken Exner