Subject: [JAGNUTS] Updates to Vintage-sportscar-touring

From: "M.E. & E.A. Driver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:34:58 -0600

Hi Fellows

I have updates some pages on www.vintage-sportscar-touring.ca .
These  include SU history which is a downloadable pdf file; also
there are password protected pdf files on H, HS, HD carburettors and
SU Fuel pumps. If you wish to download these you need to
write the web master for a password (follow the instructions on the page);
and I have put up an initial tour page for  "prairie forts" it is  just a
start which has an animated gif which I would like feedback on.

I need some advice as to copywrite issues, at present as mentioned
above I have password protected the SU manuals. These were produced
by Butec, I do not know whether the copywrite is still enforce. If  I can
find out, if someone can help, I would be more than willing to drop
the password protection.  Ray you might be able to help out on this.

As always any constructive input  you have is welcome.

Kind regards
Ed
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
'65 BJ8            '89 Morgan 4/4
www.vintage-sportscar-touring.ca

---

From: "RKW" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 16:41:21 -0400

Ed:
Ah.  The magic period is 50 years, according to the Copyright Act, after
which publications enter the public domian unless the copyright holder has
taken legal steps to renew his interest in the works (ala Disney).

So, if the manuals were published post 1954, you are probably in violation
of someone's copyright and it's no excuse that you can't find them. You
might find that Butec, or their heirs & assigns, are willing to let you post
an out-of-date publication, but you should seek theri approval.

Pre 1954, and you are probably in the clear.

This is not, BTW, legal advice but merely my experience of the Act in an
educational context.

Ray

PS:
The Copyright Act DOES permit you to copy a work into another medium so as
to preserve it, so long as you do not distribute the result, so the mere act
of scanning the manuals is not a violation.