Subject: [JAGNUTS] Help needed

From: "G.R. Green" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:01:36 -0600

Hi guys,
I have a $64 question for you.  Are any of you familiar with bringing a vehicle across the line from the USA?  This car does not have a title and that seems to be a problem.  Any suggestions?  

Someone suggested that if nothing else worked you could bring it across as parts. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to that but if you strip it down as for parts, how far down would it have to be stripped?

Gloria

---

From: "RKW" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 00:52:26 -0400

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "G.R. Green" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2004 12:01 AM
Subject: [JAGNUTS] Help needed

> Hi guys,
> I have a $64 question for you.  Are any of you familiar with bringing a
vehicle across the line from the USA?  This car does not have a title and
that seems to be a problem.  Any suggestions?
>
> Someone suggested that if nothing else worked you could bring it across as
parts. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to that but if you strip it down as
for parts, how far down would it have to be stripped?
> Gloria:
Suggestions?  Yes. Don't try to mess with the Border Bums because customs
law gives them the power to seize your stuff more or less with impunity. If
they even think you're pulling a fast one, they'll take your collection of
parts and you may need a ministerial directive to get them back.

If I were you, I'd return to the state in which you bought the vehicle, have
its title professionally searched, and if nothing is turned up, present the
title search, together with your bill of sale, personally to the duty
supervisor at the state registry of motor vehicles, and ask for title. Since
you want to take the car out of the country, I can't think why they wouldn't
give you one.

But if anything fishy turns up about the vehicle's provenance, I'd drop it
like a hot rock.

Just my two bits...

Ray Whitley
(Who was charged huge retroactive duty on the importation of his LBC a
quarter century ago, and still resents RevCan/Customs no end...:-)

 _______________________________________________
> JAGNUTS Regina  -  mailing list
> REPLY TO : [email-masked]
> http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/Jagnuts.htm
> _______________________________________________

---

From: Andrew Martens <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 23:14:50 -0600

Having recently done this... There are two steps to importing from the US.
The first is getting US customs to permit the vehicle's export. They require
the title and transfer/bill of sale to be presented with the vehicle to
ensure stolen vehicles are not being exported. When approved for export, the
buyer then presents the car to the Cdn customs who check the US exportation
approval, charge the reqd  GST and duties (for non-US cars under 25 years
old). If under 15 years, there are additional requirements (vehicle mods,
etc). Several web sites are useful -- see www.riv.ca and
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/cgi-bin/jsearch3.cgi

What I can remember about a  parts/salvage car is that customs must be
convinced (and you must certify) that it cannot and will not be returned to
operating condition. It must have a salvage title. There is no free lunch.
see http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/cn319/cn319-e.html

In other words, if the seller wants to sell the car bad enough, he should be
the one to obtain a replacement title. There are procedures for doing so,
including online title services. Importing a car is hassle enough, without a
non-title situation.

andrew
73 MGB-GT (30 yrs in San Francisco, 1 yr in Regina)

---

From: "Eddy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:29:20 -0800

Hi I have brought lots of Veh over and never had much of a Prob. That being
said all had Title. I will check with Custums tonight and see what I can
find out. Can you give me some more info as to Yr and make. Also does it
meet US and Cand standards?? Eddy

---

From: "G.R. Green" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 10:36:36 -0600

It's a 60's vintage MG that doesn't run

---

From: "Eddy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 13:39:30 -0800

I will check on it tonight and see what is nessasary to bring it in I think
it will be harder to get it out of the States than into Canada without a
Title but I will see what the rules are. Eddy
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "G.R. Green" <[email-masked]>t
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2004 8:36 AM
Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Help needed

> > parts. Hopefully, I won't have to resort to that but if you strip it
down
> > as

---

From: "G.R. Green" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 21:00:47 -0600

Maybe you could find out how to do a vehicle title search from here.
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Eddy" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 2004 3:39 PM
Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Help needed

>> >> Someone suggested that if nothing else worked you could bring it 
>> >> across
>> >> as