Subject: [JAGNUTS] FW: Young British dreams

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:12:25 -0600

A note from Moss Motors club liaison guy that is interesting ...

From: David Stuursma [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: March 10, 2014 1:28 PM
Subject: Young British dreams

My ears perk up when I hear from teenagers going out on a limb and buying
rough (to put it mildly) British cars. Is there a better way to cut your
teeth on the responsibilities and joys of motoring than with an LBC you need
to work on?

I've been talking back and forth with a kid, Chris Seely.16 or 17?.who's
definition of restoring his MGB essentially means keeping it running. I
decided to give him an assignment of sorts: to have as much fun as humanly
possible with his car, involve his buddies, teach them a thing or two, take
gobs of pictures and at the end of summer write all about it. I want a
modern, silly fairy tale of high school life with a British sports car. My
fingers are crossed.

Chris lives in Franconia, New Hampshire. Small towns don't get much smaller.
Chris never wrote to me looking for any handouts, but simply to share in his
excitement. I think he craves to be understood by someone else his age.
After his last message, I know he does:

Some exciting news! I have been talking to one of my very close friends, who
has ridden in the mgb several times now, and have convinced him to start his
own search for a little british car. I am helping him by giving him a list
of several Spitfires, sprites, mgbs, and tr6's I accumulated while I was
looking for my own little British car. I also promised to help him with the
restoration. He is very excited to start this search, but just like me,
wishes he had more money to pursue this dream.

When I read this I decided I had to throw this out there to the clubs. It's
so often said, "Young people don't want anything to do with these cars."
It's nice to hear from the other side, isn't it? I'm not asking anyone to do
anything, but I'm not going to stop anyone either. 

I'm going to say it one more time: Chris never wrote asking for financial
assistance. He's writing about the financial reality of a teenager. These
kids are pursuing dreams they hope they might be able to afford. They're
putting their necks out a bit and I think this is laudable.

Am I inviting a call-to-action? Not if you already know kids like Chris in
your community. But, if you don't know anyone, here's an eager and motivated
kid.

Chris' email: [email-masked]

Two pictures attached: One of Chris' MGB stored for the winter under the
deck. And one of the results of a prank played by his friends. 

 ******

I'm hoping to get a few stories like Chris' to use this fall in our
magazine-especially kids in high school. If you know any please pass along
my name/email. I'd love to talk to them.

Thank you!

David Stuursma

Moss Motoring editor 

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of storage.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of prank.jpg]

---

From: Tom Bradley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:50:29 -0700

Speaking of British cars I've had a few and enjoyed them. Here's one I found
when out for a walk yesterday! TD, TF...?

T

On 2014-03-12, at 10:12 AM, Bob wrote:

******

Thank you!

David Stuursma

Moss Motoring editor

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
storage.jpg]

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
prank.jpg]
_______________________________________________
JAGNUTS Regina  -  mailing list
REPLY TO : [email-masked]
http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/Jagnuts.htm
_______________________________________________

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of photo.JPG]