Subject: [JAGNUTS] Help Requested

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 20:55:52 -0600

I received the following note from a reader of the Jagnuts website.  Can
anyone help Howard out?

Ii have totally restored a 78 spitfire and have a constant noise in the rear
-- i think it is an axle joint issue.  During the restore i completely
rebuilt the rear end with the exception of new axles, they are prone to wear
due the undersized inner bearing.  I have since changed the ujoints but the
knock persists.  I have ordered new axles, bearings and seals and would like
to know if you have any insight into club members or local mechanics who
are knowledgable in this area.  I would like to get a mechanic to help me
with this rebuild to get it right this time.  i hope to meet up with you or
other club members and will follow your events calendar. I would appreciate
any advice at your earliest convenience.  

Howard Jesse

[email-masked]

---

From: Chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 23:29:13 -0600

Radius arm bushings, or a stressed brake line. Unlikely a bearing would
"knock"

On 2013-04-11, at 8:55 PM, "Bob" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> JAGNUTS Regina  -  mailing list
> REPLY TO : [email-masked]
> http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/Jagnuts.htm
> _______________________________________________

---

From: "EdB" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:22:47 -0600

Chris:

Howard should have given information on what happens under acceleration, or 
deceleration, breaking and cornering.  Does the noise remain the same?  Is 
there noise on one side or both sides?

Generally, if the  noise is a knock or rattle on deceleration, but not on 
acceleration,  it is probably u-joint noise which can be caused by wear of 
the u-joint itself, but can also be a loose fit of the yoke flange circlips, 
causing end float in the u-joint.  If it is end float shimming could fix it.

Continuous noise, with no change on either acceleration or deceleration, but 
is louder on one side of the car is a possible wheel bearing noise.

Continuous noise, but, loudest on acceleration could be a differential 
problem, but knocking, vibration or a rattle are usually NOT caused by the 
differential.

Ed Bratt
Regina

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
To: "JAGNUTS Regina" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 11:29 PM
Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Help Requested

> -----
> No virus found in this message.
> Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
> Version: 2012.0.2240 / Virus Database: 2641/5739 - Release Date: 04/11/13

---

From: Chris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 06:38:20 -0600

Well put!

> Generally, if the  noise is a knock or rattle on deceleration, but not on
acceleration,  it is probably u-joint noise which can be caused by wear of the
u-joint itself, but can also be a loose fit of the yoke flange circlips,
causing end float in the u-joint.  If it is end float shimming could fix it.
>
> Ed Bratt
> Regina
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>