Subject: [JAGNUTS] FW: [E-Type] Blue Blob Strikes

From: "Bob England" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 08:04:25 -0600

I pulled this item off of the E-Type list as I was talking to someone about
this very subject on Sunday.  I expect most of you are aware of this anyway
(as was my fellow conversationalist Sunday), but I thought I might pass it
on (look at the photo referenced near the end of the second e-mail below).

Bob England

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of Ray Livingston
Sent: June 04, 2007 10:44 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Fw: [E-Type] Blue Blob Strikes

In reply to a message from koolkataz sent Tue 5 Jun 2007:

Mike,
    A graphic example of why RTV should *never* be used on anything 
exposed to the oil system.  Had that glob managed to find it's way 
into the oil galley's, it would have been the end of that engine....
--
Ray Livingston  - '64 OTS  Santa Cruz, CA
Santa Cruz, CA, United States

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of koolkataz
Sent: June 04, 2007 10:38 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Fw: [E-Type] Blue Blob Strikes

 Working on Jag engines, one is liable to find all sorts of items. As
 mentioned in previous post, I've pulled out several large pieces of cotter
 keys pieces from oil filters with no harm done. Recently I was doing some
 work on an extra Jag engine sitting on the floor of my garage and needed to
 remove the timing chain cover. While doing this task & upon removing the
 cover, what I found hanging on the inside of the cover is shown in the
 following pictures. Remember, the blob was hanging by a tread of RTV. The
 nut in the second picture is used to help show the very large size of the
 blob.    Also found in the inside of the water pump housing are several 
hand
 written numbers, maybe factory, hard to say as the history of the engine is
 not known for certain.....yet I cannot think anyone in Coventry used RTV so
 I must think someone rebuilt the engine, but not sure of the handwritten
 numbers in the water pump impeller area.

 http://www.jag-lovers.org/v.htm?1180943146

 Mike Goodwin & KoolKat
 ' 68 OTS E Type W/HT & SUs
 Phoenix, AZ  USA