Subject: [JAGNUTS] FW: Davidson Road Race Reunion

From: "Bob" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:44:22 -0600

See note from Ken below ...

  _____  

From: Ken Exner [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: January 14, 2007 9:41 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Davidson Road Race Reunion

Hello Bob, Well things sound quite interesting with this race reunion. There
is certainly allot of history behind this sport and a hopeful show of
support from the town of Davidson to host this affair. We had a meeting with
the Mayor of the town and one of the land owners where the original race
site is. From his perspective he has offered his support to the point that
no damage is done to the area, as it remains an important part of his
livelihood. (it is an airstrip that he still uses to take off and land his
crop dusting planes.) His concern would be that any cars or racing activity
would make ruts in the already dilapidated surface. He also states that May
is too early to be using the area because the ground underneath is still
very soft. There are still two other runways out there but their condition
is unknown at this point but the property owner of these was not in
attendance at the meeting today but promised his support in his absence. At
any rate until more is known about the original race site more focus will be
placed on other activities within the town of Davidson itself. Some of the
activities that were brought up, were of course, a show and shine from
various car clubs, a cabaret, pancake breakfast, displays of old race photos
and memorabilia ( sort of mini mobile race museum), a parade, perhaps some
type of competition or gymkhana event, an auto cross demonstration. I had
suggested possibly a ride and drive type event similar to what the Jagnuts
have had.

So, overall it sounds like a heap of fun (and work) and something we would
all enjoy in taking part at some level. It is just far enough away to be a
worth while tour yet close enough to drive back home any time we choose to.

So a few things have yet to be settled before we can begin the real
planning.

1.) The date, should it be held on the anniversary in the May long weekend
or changed to July or August long weekends. There are no conflicts in May.

2.) Use of the existing race site? and what work needs to be done there? and
is there enough help from the various car clubs?

3.) They are asking for permission to use the Jagnut Logo in the advertising
and press release. I need permission from the creator.

4.) I would need to know the level of interest/support we can expect from
the Jagnuts.

That is pretty much about it. 

It was interesting!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ken