Subject: [JAGNUTS] RE: Jag Puddle Lamps etc

From: "JAGNUTS" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:53:33 -0600

John

I'm passing your note on to the whole group to see if anyone might be able
to help.  Those new fangled XJ40's are too complex for me !

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of John
Griffiths
Sent: September 27, 2004 2:42 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Jag Puddle Lamps etc

Bob et al:

I've recently enlarged the fleet by buying Tom Bradley's '88 Jag XJ40 
Sovereign. Being Lucas-fitted, it has the odd little electrical anomaly
though it's otherwise in beautiful shape. I thought I might tap into 
the collective wisdom and experience of the Jagnuts.

I think I can figure out the bonnet lights (bum switch?) and the fuel 
filler flap no doubt needs a new solenoid but the "puddle lamps" in the
doors are vexing. The RF one works but none of the others do. I've 
tried replacing the bulbs. I thought I might be using the wrong 
replacement wattage (It indicates 12v/5w in the manual) but if I run 
the earth wire on the fixture to a known earth on the car, the lamp 
lights. Driving with them on all the time just doesn't seem like a 
good permanent solution and nor does disabling the working one to make 
them match. Since 3 of them are out I'm wondering about a relay or
switch of which I'm unaware. I can't even find the switch on any door. 
Thoughts? 

John

[email-masked]
www.thetubaguy.com
Professor, Dept. of Music,
Development Director, "Mini-University",
Riddell University Centre 256.15,
University of Regina,
Regina, Sask.
S4S 0A2
(306) 585-5534
FAX: (306) 585-5549

---

From: Brandi <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 18:00:56 -0600

Hi John

The problem might simply be three bad grounds. They may have occured at
different times, but been ignored by previous owners, leading you to believe
that if three are out, then it might be a relay, etc. It's highly unlikely
that a relay would be used for such low amperage stuff.

See if the switch grounds itself. If so, you might be able to fashion a new
ground by soldering onto the switch to a bolt or self tapping screw of your
chosen location. If you use the screw solution, be sure to silicone it
afterwards to prevent a re-occurrence of bad grounds later.

Hope this helps
Gerard

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of JAGNUTS
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 2:54 PM
To: 'John Griffiths'; [email-masked]
Subject: [JAGNUTS] RE: Jag Puddle Lamps etc

John

Bob

-----Original Message-----

Bob et al:

John

[email-masked]
www.thetubaguy.com
Professor, Dept. of Music,
Development Director, "Mini-University",
Riddell University Centre 256.15,
University of Regina,
Regina, Sask.
S4S 0A2
(306) 585-5534
FAX: (306) 585-5549
_______________________________________________
JAGNUTS Regina  -  mailing list
REPLY TO : [email-masked]
http://nonprofits.accesscomm.ca/jagnuts/Jagnuts.htm
_______________________________________________