[JAGNUTS] FW: Help Requested

Bob bob at jagnuts.ca
Sat Apr 13 12:26:04 MDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Howard Jesse [mailto:howard.jesse at sasktel.net]
Sent: April 13, 2013 11:36 AM
To: Bob
Subject: Re: [JAGNUTS] Help Requested

Bob thanks for posting my inquiry: Ed and Chris:  Thank you for your
that cause the noise.  From the first drive in 2007 after the body off resto
the noise has been present.  When I did the original rebuild of the rear end
all components were removed and replaced including the trunion arm bushings,
both seals, bearings and all new ujoints.  The rear diff was evaluated by a
mechanic  and deemed in great shape -- the seals were replaced.  The noise
is not apparent under acceleration, only deceleration and seems not to be
any worse while cornering.  I have replaced the ujoints twice since, I I had
a challenge with the extended grease nipples snapping off during
installation and replaced them with a short nipple making any lube very
difficult.  The nipples are not binding.  I did not change the axels in the
initial rebuild although I detected wear on the shaft from the inner race
bearing -- I am told this is common, however I regret ignoring the advice to
change the axels.  Could this sound be caused by the bearing?  It does not
sound like a bearing although it may be resonating through the axel itself?
I have ordered new axels and will replace along with all new bearing
inner/outer and new u joints.  I am guessing one of the axles my be bent
which I surmise would cause the ujoints to run out and either throw the
joint or cause the knocking noise due to binding.  I have also found some
replacement yokes sensing they may also be bent or have been damaged if the
axels are bent.  I will proceed with the complete rebuild including all the
ujoints and verify if they are moving inside the yoke.  Any mechanics out
there with experience in this area interested in the job.  Also I need to
rent or borrow the hub puller ( I am told unique to the Spitfire) I pressed
the hubs off during the initial resto which may have also caused damage to
the axels.  Appreciate your help will join you for one of the coffee dates.