[JONAT-chat] Re: Jonat-chat digest, Vol 1 #91 - 7 msgs

jonat-chat@autox.team.net jonat-chat@autox.team.net
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 12:08:09 EDT

Subject:  Discussion on Weather and Safety

This is an important topic from the standpoint of safety.  Most of the route
probably gets plenty of traffic and someone may come along and help if a
person gets in trouble.  With proper preparations, however, everyone can be
prepared for the unexpected.  Fazal...since you have to fly to the Mainland, your
weight limitations will be a consideration, because you might want to purchase
things here and take back with you.  If you plan on bringing the basics to get
through warm weather, rain, cold wind and snow, (including hat and gloves) you
will probably be alright.  One of the participants might loan you a warmer
garment if you get in a pinch...or just bring extra money if you need to upgrade
your wardrobe while travelling.  But don't go overboard on packing as you will
probably be happier if you can pack light.

With the discussion on use of radios and cell phones, and the emergency
contact lists which some Sectors will provide, people's journey should be pretty
safe.  However, know that there will be sections of the route where these types
of communications may not be very effective.  Individuals might also want to
buy a phone card or two to have with you because you can always find a public
phone in some of the small towns to call home or call out for assistance.  That
is usually pretty effective.  But now -- we're talking to the adventurers of
this continent....and Australia....reminds me of a quote, "It is the
Adventurers....who accomplish great things!" J. Bergsma

Christina Lilienthal
Oregon ASC
1978 XJV12
JOCO

P.S.  When I go on long trips, I often carry a sleeping bag, emergency
survival bag, flashlight, etc....I was raised in the mountains and I know what
dilemmas can come up when some of those unforeseen circumstances arise....be
prepared to be stuck on the road for a few hours -- we've had mudslides along the
Coast, train wrecks, hazardous spills, etc...and this only occurs rarely, but it
is still wise to consider the possibility.  I'd rather pull out my hot
chocolate and a deck of cards while I wait for things to change rather than
miserably waiting with chattering teeth and nothing to do.