[JONAT-chat] My Oregon JONAT Experience - Chapter Three (and The End!)

jonat-chat@autox.team.net jonat-chat@autox.team.net
Sun, 13 Jun 2004 14:08:02 EDT

My 2004 Oregon JONAT Experience - Chapter Three
By Christina Lilienthal

Evening, May 14, 2004 -- The Jaguar Owners North American Tour had made it as
far as Astoria, Oregon, and some of the participants had headed on to
commitments or the motel in Longview, Washington.  Fazel Cader, from
Australia, and I
found ourselves in the parking lot of the Astoria Maritime Museum, pondering
how to maximize the last few hours of daylight.  This was new country to both
of us and the town was so attractive, with its beautiful architecture, we were
in no rush to leave.  We walked out onto the pier where the ships were
anchored, all two of them b a commercial ship and a tourist ship which was
the
sternwheeler filmed in the movie bThe Maverick.b  A group of senior
citizens had
just boarded for a dinner cruise up the mighty Columbia River and we watched
as
the boat pulled away from the dock and headed upriver.  It was impressive
watching that big sternwheeler, with the red blades flashing in the afternoon
sun, as it maneuvered into locomotion through the water. (photo:  bQueen of
the
Westb sternwheeler on the Columbia River)

Then we walked down to the other end of the pier to gaze out toward the
Pacific Ocean, through the 4-mile span of bridge stretching from Oregon to
Washington, which we would soon be crossing on our way to Longview.  (photo:
Bridge
from Oregon to Washington)

It was about 6:00 PM and dinner crossed our minds, but neither of us was very
interested in food when there were things to see in the diminishing light.
On the hill overlooking Astoria there was a tall structure that kind of looked
like a smoke stack, but also, a monument.  We both agreed it would be fun to
check it out.  Stopping at a service station for a soda, we wound our way up
the hill through the row after row of Victorian homes until we came to what
was
called the Aster Column.  It was gorgeous and had recently been renovated with
fresh illustrations of historical scenes painted all the way to the top of
the column.  What was even more special is that we could climb to the top for
stunning view of the surrounding area.  A spiral staircase was built inside
that contained over 160 stairs.  At the top was a landing in the open air with
railing.

The view was awesome.  The cool breeze on the face was refreshing after the
arduous climb.  There was a 360 degree view, but the most magnificent
stretched
to the water.  This was one of the finest moments on the tour for me.  It was
an appropriate ending to two rather challenging days and I breathed deeply of
the inspiration I felt.  Fazal had already descended to the base and I saw
him standing there in the dramatic design of the entry and called, b
Helloooooooo, down there!b  He raised his arm and I caught the moment with
my digital.  He
was way bdown under!b (photo:  Fazal Cader, bDown Underb)

Several photographs side to side of the views will help me remember this day
 and my first visit to our historic town of Astoria, Oregon.  An Oregonian
for the past twenty-seven years, it filled my heart with appreciation. (photo:
The views southwest and northwest from the Aster column)

Descending to the base, I walked the grounds a little and caught up with
Fazal who was reading an interpretive sign about the Native American burial
launch
displayed. This was an interpretive model so that people would gain insight
into the cultural ways of the Coastal Indian Tribes prior to the coming of
Europeans.  It was elevated in the air, yet was placed to appear floating on
the
water in the distance. (photo:  Native American Burial Launch)

Soon it was time to launch ourselves off this promontory and onto that 4-mile
bridge we could see on the horizon to the scenic drive on the Washington side
of the river.

The bridge was amazing.  Fazal took some photographs as we were crossing with
his 35 mm camera.  Neither of us wanted to miss crossing this bridge.  The
option was to drive back along the Oregon side, but Bruce Hugo had advised us
that Washington was very scenic.  It surely was.  As I drove along at 50-55
miles an hour in sweeping curves along the river, I could hear Fazal talking
about
how people would be driving like crazy down this piece if they were anywhere
else.  He found it difficult to believe the speed limit was so low.  I was
glad it was slow, because I was getting tuckered out and we still had some
miles
to go.  Since I was driving someone elsebs car, I wanted to be careful that
my
weariness did not result in any accidents.

Suddenly I saw this sign and an interesting building along side the road.  I
slowed down and pulled over because it was worthy of a photograph.  I was
preparing to take a photo of the end of the building when a lady came running
over
from across the street and said bWait a minute!  Let me fix this!b and she
ran over to close the window and moved some garden cans away so the picture
could be beautiful.  Duffybs Irish Pub.  It looked like it was in an English
countryside. (photo:  Duffybs Irish Pub on State Route 4 West, Grays Harbor,
Washington)

Fazal, of course, was laughing because immediately he thought of Jamie Duffy,
our Washington comrade in JONAT who would be meeting the participants in
Longview.  Neither of us had met Jamie, and this made us wonder what to
expect!
As I was returning to the car, the lady who had closed the window for my photo
came over and told me that I had to come and see her beautiful garden.  She
was insistent, and so I told Fazal, who was sitting in the car.  She walked up
outside his window brandishing a stick and told him through the glass that we
really should come in and see her garden.  I donbt think Fazal knew what we
were getting into....these Americans!

She took us through the Pub to the deck overlooking the river and the view
was very nice.  I was looking for her garden, but didnbt see it.  Then she
showed us a passage off the deck that stepped down into a little English
garden she
had constructed herself over the past three years.  By digging into the
ground and forming walkways with brick and timbers, she created these little
alley
ways with arching trellises and plants.  It was darling.  She was so proud of
her work.  I was touched.  Being a landscape architect, I could see all the
effort it had taken to build such a garden and it was very peaceful.  She
smiled
broadly as both Fazal and I expressed our appreciation.

That was not all.  The lady in the Pub had implored us to stay for a bite to
eat.  She told us that the elderly couple who did the cooking had cooked
together for over thirty years.  Fazal was glad to stop and eat.  It was after
8:00
PM and we hadnbt eaten dinner yet.  I was getting chilled from the evening
air and they ushered us to a table near the woodstove, had it going in
moments,
and was serving us a special vinaigrette onion appetizer.  We shared a big
plate of steamed clams and there were tasty vegetables.  I was exhausted at
that
point and grateful for the food and warmth.  Soon the woodstove was blasting
us out.  We examined the interior dC)cor that was quite interesting with an
eclectic collection of memorabilia.  The Pub had a little bandstand and was no
doubt a rocking place from time to time.  Soon we were ready to find our way
the designated lodging in Longview.

I slept in late.  This was a rest day on the tour.  Greg Meboe, our JONAT
webmaster rang my room about 10:00 in the morning.  He and his wife had driven
down from Seattle late the night before and seen the Jaguar in the parking
lot.
Everyone else was coming in that day.  So it worked out well, for we were
able to gather together for breakfast.  I notified Fazal to join us, who was
feeling under the weather from a cold he thought he might have contracted from
riding in the back of the pick-up b but then, he might have caught it on the
plane as well.  We all exchanged tales and laughed.  I was anxious to download
and
copy my digital photos and Greg had his computer, so after a quick run to the
store for some CDbs, he copied them.  It was very fun to see the photos and
explain where they were taken and what had transpired the previous two days.

After spending a little time visiting, I headed south to Eugene, Oregon, to
return the car to Macherionebs via Office Max in Salem, to have some digital
pictures enlarged and framed of their car.  As I rolled down Interstate 5, I
felt a certain satisfaction that I participated in the historic first
international Jaguar Ownerbs North American Tour.  When I arrived at the
Sports Car Shop,
Brenda Macherione took a photo of me standing next to their car so that I
would remember the adventure.  (photo: Christina at the Sports Car Shop)

My husband was there to meet me for the last 90 miles of the journey home
with our little dog, Max.  He took a photo of me and Max in the little red
English phone booth outside the shop.  It was a fitting end to a trip where
communication was vital, but not always possible. (photo:  Telephone Booth)

The End.

Epilogue

On Friday, May 21 (a week later), I picked up my 1978 XJV12L Jaguar from the
shop.  After spark plugs, fuel filter and general wiring upgrades later, plus
vacuum hose replacement (where it had melted shut) and other miscellaneous
work, the car was running fine and I drove it home in time to enter the local
Car
Show.  It was judged bBest Importb edging out a Mitsubishi, a cute little
English Morris and some others I couldnbt name.  The 18b trophy was
impressive.
 This was a welcome homecoming.  With only 33,169 miles on the speedometer,
maybe Ibll try her again in the 2006 JONAT!

Christina Lilienthal
Driving a 2000 S-Type Jaguar
Oregon ASC
JOCO