[JONAT-chat] Re: Jonat-chat digest, Vol 1 #127 - 3 msgs

Bob jonat-chat@autox.team.net
Sat, 22 May 2004 23:58:58 -0600

Christina

Sorry I did not get your message until after the show (great show!).  Jerry
was there with his lovely Mk 2, but of course did not get a chance to pass
your message on to him.  I don't think Bob made it up here.  Lots of
pictures ... yes ... about 160 of them.

Had a chance last night and today to talk to some of the other Tour
participants and sounds like the Tour has been a hoot.  Some very
interesting tales to tell, and some interesting pictures to see.  Really
looking forward to travelling to Penticton tomorrow.

Bob England

-----Original Message-----
From: jonat-chat-admin@autox.team.net
[mailto:jonat-chat-admin@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of SidPacks@aol.com
Sent: May 22, 2004 9:28 PM
To: jonat-chat@autox.team.net
Subject: [JONAT-chat] Re: Jonat-chat digest, Vol 1 #127 - 3 msgs

Hello Folks....I just read Bob's messages from Victoria, and as if "on cue,"
two Canadian honkers just settled in on the pond outside my window....as if
punctuate his message.  It's been nearly a week since I was on the Oregon
tour and I haven't even had time to download my pictures onto the computer,
yet...except what Greg Meboe was able to do in Longview, Washington.
Haven't
written up a report, either...but will very soon.  In short, my car gave up
the
ghost enroute to "join-up" on the Oregon coast and I picked it up yesterday
from
the Sports Car Shop in Eugene, 90 miles from my home...just in time to take
it
to a Car Show today.  Bob and Brenda Marchione of the Sports Car Shop loaned
me their personal vehicle, a 2000 S-Type to drive on the tour while my car
was
in the shop and that was a lovely experience.  It was really an amazing
machine....although I love driving my  1978 XJV12L.  It's an amazing machine
in its
own right.  But today, I won my first big trophy at a local Car Show in the
Import Class for "Best Import" against about 1/2 dozen other imports,
including
a Morris and a very fancy Mitsubishi...that had all kinds of bells and
whistles -- he could make it bounce up and down and all that fun stuff.  I
didn't
think I'd have a chance against the fancy cars in the class...but I guess I
under-estimated the wisdom of the judges.  One of the judges asked if I
would lift
the hood so that people could see the engine compartment...even though it
isn't "polished show quality" under the hood -- it is fairly clean and all
original.  The trophy is very nice -- two violet metallic pillars on the
bottom
rising to a platform and another violet metallic piller on top between two
gold
eagles with wings spread and a steering wheel set at the top between a pair
of
wings.  Now that I have my car home and everything can get back on track, I
will take time to write up a report -- at least from my point of view.
Fazal
Cader will have his own interesting tale...and Bill Smith will have a story.
The
others, I hope, will also take the time to write up their experience --
because we definitely enjoyed ourselves...it was especially nice being able
travel as a group and talk among ourselves on the FSR radios...and the
special
country tour we took led by the Professor of Whales from the Hatfield Marine
Science Center was a real gas.  I was glad I was driving Marcherione's
performance
machine on that part of the tour because I'm not sure I would have wanted to
stress my 25-year old driver as hard.

Bob England:  If you read this message and see Jerry Liudahl and Bob
Marcherione (from Eugene, Oregon) at the Van Dusen Show, please let Bob know
I won a
trophy at the car show today.  I appreciate the good work he did on the
diagnosis and his mechanic did on getting it up and running in time.  I
think Jerry
Liudahl drove his red classic Mk II to the show.  Take lots of pictures and
enjoy yourself!

So I'll be back in touch with an extended report and photos before too long.

Christina Lilienthal
Oregon ASC
1978 XJV12L
Participants Chat List