[JONAT] RE: JONAT - San Francisco

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Tue Apr 22 00:06:15 2003

Another factor to consider is the temperatures. (Can you tell I'm from AZ?)
If we are someplace where it is going to be hot an earlier start would be
preferable. The day out of Lake Havasu City is a perfect example. I'm not
sure if we are heading to LV or taking Rt. 66 to LA, but if we are going to
do six hours of driving, leaving at 7:00, taking a quick mid-morning snack
stop, and getting in at 1:30, then eating lunch would be very preferable to
leaving at 9:30 and arriving at 4:30 or 5:00.

Another thing that might be interesting would be a segment under the stars.
For those of us with ragtops, and even those without, an evening drive to,
say, 10:00 p.m. under a full (May 4, 2004) or nearly full moon would be an
interesting change.

I don't think the sun goes down until 10 p.m. in Canada around the summer
solstice, so if anyone likes the idea, the best time would be earlier in the
route somewhere in the south. Arizona cools off very quickly after the sun
goes down and northern Arizona won't be all that hot during the day. This is
the time when Arizona can be the hottest and coldest place in the country on
the same day -- below freezing when the cold air rolls down from the San
Francisco Peaks around Flagstaff and over 100F down in the desert the next
day. However, there is one advantage to Arizona -- no daylight savings time.
Perhaps we could eat dinner at the Grand Canyon, watch the sunset, and make
a twilight / night run into Williams, AZ. If we left GC at 7:30, we'd be in
Williams around 9:00 p.m.

Just a thought.

Mark