[JONAT] JONATcommunications on Jag-Lovers Pub

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Sat Apr 26 01:04:01 2003

Bob,

You are sort of going in the direction of my original suggestion, I think.
If we take a large part of the route discussions to the Pub, it will get
people involved in the process and hopefully participating in the tour. I'd
like to see the SC list become something of an admin discussion area, where
the big decisions are made, volunteers are discussed and accepted, and
disputes between us are resolved. Things like route details within a sector,
where to stop, requests for more volunteers, etc., would generate a lot of
interest from the people who don't currently know much about what we're
doing.

My suggestion that we have duplicate messages on both lists was a way to
answering Jamie's concern that JONAT maintain some kind of archival record
of the development of the tour. The Pub archives are there to be accessed,
however we don't have any control over them, so if there is some problem
with the Pub and they close it and the archives down, we'll lose access. So
I guess what we need to decide is how important an history is and if the Pub
archives will suffice.

I personally think that we should always keep the KISS principle foremost in
our thoughts, avoiding complexity whenever possible. Trying to maintain
duplicate discussions on both lists would add complexity. Trying to take our
discussions and report them to the Pub to generate interest adds complexity
for whoever keeps the Pub updated, anad vice versa, when a discussion breaks
out in the Pub. Utilizing the Pub for the detail discussion is the easiest
solution. We save on admin time and effort on JONAT, because we are
utilizing Jag-Lovers resources and the Pub admin. We are getting the word
out while we discuss the details. We can steer people to a public forum to
watch the development and become involved. And, we may get some really good
suggestions from people who aren't in the inner circle.

On the downside we lose control over our own archives. As long as we
incorporate the good ideas into the route, does it matter how we got there?

That my question for the evening. I'm taking part in the British Euro Auto
Tour this weekend, so I'll be off-list until Sunday. I'll be interested to
see the debate when I return.

Mark - AZ