[JONAT] Fees and splitting them up.

Dr Gregory Andrachuk jonat@autox.team.net
Sat Dec 6 11:03:01 2003

Mark:
    You clever guy! The complications of this formula underline exactlly why
there should be no fee, and why this tour should not be over-organised. The
thought of dealing with this has me ready to run for the hills (in my
fastest Jaguar).
                                            Gregory
----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Stephenson" <marks@jonat.org>
To: <jonat@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 11:26 PM
Subject: [JONAT] Fees and splitting them up.

: While I vote against a JONAT fee, preferring instead the funds be raised
: through memorabilia sales and sponsorships, if we decide to have one, I
: don't think the second sector should cost the registrant who is doing only
: two, more than the first one. I think it should be $25 and $49.
:
: Here's another aspect of the JONAT fee I'm not sure was considered. I can
: see some SCs coming up with extravagant plans while other SCs keep it
: simple. If I'm one of the simple ones, I don't want to see all the money I
: raised going to a sector on a spending spree. It would be fair to me or
the
: people participating in my sector. Therefore, if we are going to collect a
: JONAT fee, there should be a limit to what each sector can spend. I think
: that a very large percentage, in the vicinity of 75%, should be earmarked
: for the sectors each entrant has signed up for. For example, if I had 25
: people sign up for my sector, and five of them signed up for my sector
: alone, ten of them signed up for two sectors, five signed up for four
: sectors, and five signed up for the whole route, my sector would have been
: responsible for generating 25($s paid)x5(# paid) + 49($s paid)/2(split
among
: the # of sectors)x10(# paid) + 49/4x5 + 49/29(total # of sectors)x5 =
: $439.70 of revenue. If I received 75% of that, it would be $329.78.
: Sponsorships generated by me from within my area should likewise be split
: 75/25 between the sector and JONAT Central. Sponsorships obtained from
: outside the my area should be split 37.5/37.5/25 between my sector, the
: sector closest to the sponsor, and HQ. That would be the budget within
which
: I'd have to work.
:
: Another aspect for this to be as even-handed as possible, sectors should
be
: about the same length of time. A five-day sector has a lot more to spread
: out over than than a two-day one. If anyone is taking more than one sector
: and two or more are very short, we should consider combining them or
: adjusting the calculations based on the time of the sector. A spreadsheet
: listing the entrants and sponsors for each sector could have all these
: calculations embedded.
:
: If an event was scheduled at the hand-off point it would have to be with
the
: mutual agreement of both SCs and the costs would be split evenly unless
: otherwise agreed to by the two SCs.
:
: Money earmarked for each SC could be used to print the route guide, create
: mementos, subsidize the cost of a dinner, pay some or all of the entrance
: fees into a place of interest, etc. A full accounting of funds expended
: would have to be made to JONAT Central and any unused funds or profits
: earned from the the sale of items bought with JONAT funds would have to be
: returned. If the SC goes over budget, it comes out of the SC's pocket.
:
: That's my suggestion on how things should be divided up and run, if we
have
: a fee, which I oppose.
:
: Mark - AZ