[JONAT] Lake Havasu to San Diego

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Sat Nov 1 14:08:01 2003

We're doing a couple of those. We're spending the afternoon and eating
dinner at the Grand Canyon before departing for Williams, AZ. The drive is a
little over an hour. If we watch the sun set over the canyon, we'll be have
a beautiful night drive to Williams. It will be an early morning start
Saturday morning to hook up with the Rt. 66 Fun Run folks in Seligman, AZ.
Lake Havasu to Vegas would have been about a three hour trip so we didn't
need to leave real early, but if we're headed to San Diego, we'll need to
consider the heat.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I think the highest temps near
the Salton Sea in early May were around 108F and the average was something
like 95F. It heats and cools real fast in the desert, so we have to work
backwards from the temps we don't want to be driving in. For example, I know
it's cool once you come over the last set of hills and head down toward the
ocean.

Just to throw out some numbers as an example, if the trip takes six hours
and final hour is a cool downhill into SD, and if we don't want to be in the
desert after 1:00 P.M. (approx. 87F avg., 98F on the way to a record tying
high) we need to leave at 8:00. Of course, the times are all suggestions.
Everyone can set their own schedule.

Mark