[JONAT] Minor update it appears

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Wed Nov 5 12:10:01 2003

Hey, everyone.

My Northern Arizona contact has informed me that the food is terrible on the
Reservation; that the hotels are at best, so-so; and that the Bureau of
Indian Affairs police are stretched so thin that crime is high. He suggested
that we don't stay overnight on the reservation unless we want to guard our
own cars. Gouldings was the only good option, however they decided they
wanted us to pay for a tour of Monument Valley that we don't have time to
take.

His solution was for us to drive to Page, AZ via US 160 and AZ 98 (<250
miles from Mesa Verde), and then head to the Grand Canyon from there via US
89 and AZ 64 (<150 miles). These are all open 2-lanes on which we can easily
average 60 mph. We could still do lunch at Gouldings and see Monument Valley
which would add about 45 miles to the trip.

I think it's a good plan. I'll have a few overnight suggestions to post in
the next couple days. CO sector (Bob? don’t' have time to look it up right
now) if you want to hand off to me at wherever we're staying at Mesa Verde,
that's fine.

Mark Stephenson, Sector Coordinator - Arizona
Jaguar Owners North American Tour (www.jonat.org)
April 15 - July 4, 2004
Visit the Pub for route discussions