[JONAT] Minor update it appears

Bob jonat@autox.team.net
Thu Nov 6 12:52:01 2003

Mark / Robert ... the planning over the mailing list is great ... it shows
me how important fine tuning the hand-off location and times are to ensuring
a seamless transition between sectors.  [Let me know your final decisions
and I'll update the maps].

How are some of you other SC's doing on hand-off coordination.  Any
questions/concerns?

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: jonat-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:jonat-admin@autox.team.net]On
Behalf Of Robert MacLeay
Sent: November 6, 2003 12:02 PM
To: JONAT list
Subject: Re: [JONAT] Minor update it appears

My original schedule for Thursday was:
9AM to noon: Guided Tour of Mesa Verde
noon to 1PM: allocated for independent lunch
1PM to 6PM:  drive 150 miles to Kayenta
  an optional stop at Four Corners would add an hour+ to this.

Adding an extra hundred miles to this by going all the way to Page would be
a burden.

Yes I'd always intended the Mesa Verde tour to be on the last day; this is
the only time it would be practical. Park tours are three hours long and
start at 9 AM and 1 PM, and I do not see how we could take an afternoon tour
without devoting an entire day to the park.

Actually, the driving time from Gunnison to Mesa Verde has turned out to be
rather longer than I had originally budgeted, due to lower than expected
highway speeds in the mountains and the very long driveway from the Park
entrance to the Lodge.  To allow any sightseeing at all on that stretch
probably means splitting it into two days; luckily, there is enough slack in
the OK-KS segment to allow this.

As far as overnight stops are concerned, I really want Mesa Verde to be an
overnight stop, as it is as special an attraction as any on the tour route.
Also, the morning tour schedule would be difficult to keep if we stayed
elsewhere; driving time from Durango is almost two hours, necessitating a
pre-dawn start if we stay there.  At the other end, lodging between Denver
and Gunnison is almost nonexistent, making Gunnison almost mandatory.

Pushing back the schedule, ending Tuesday in Durango, and taking the
afternoon tour on Wednesday, with overnight either at the Lodge in the Park
or somewhere in Cortez, is a possible alternative.

FYI, I have just checked and the nominal capacity of the Lodge's meeting
room is only 50 persons.

--

Robert MacLeay  -  Denver, CO
1990 VDP Majestic