[JONAT] Updated Route Maps

Dr Gregory Andrachuk jonat@autox.team.net
Fri Nov 7 10:10:01 2003

--Boundary_(ID_yL+WJqBOUVikYwq6Z2nH/A)

Cancel my previous comments; I found Victoria/Vancouver, but the box for =
this segment should be in the previous segment, not in the =
Vancouver-onwards segment.
    While we have tine to make these sorts of corrections, here is one =
now, and this is a good indication of why we MUST vet these maps. The =
instructions given for leaving Victoria are simply wrong. On Day 11, the =
instructions say to take Fort Street, then turn RIGHT on the =
Trans-Canada Highway (Douglas Street).  Fort Street is a one way street =
going East. You must turn LEFT on Douglas Street if you want to get out =
of the city. Can you correct this?
    The other thing is that the maps and schedules assume a more or less =
non-stop progress; this is not how people will travel. In Victoria, we =
will find some way of greeting the ferry (May 16 or later, depending on =
the previous schedules) from the US and giving the travellers =
information about the city, where to stay, eat, what to see, etc. There =
is lots to do on the Island, from whale watching to visiting vineyards, =
and people will have no trouble filling up a few days. This may well =
serve as a "flex time" to allow people to catch up if they have been =
delayed or taken more time in previous segments.
    The map assumes that the travellers will go from Victoria, up =
Vancouver Island, north to Nanaimo, then across on the ferry to =
Horseshoe Bay, north of Vancouver, (this is a beautiful trip) and then =
on up to Whistler. Some, many, in fact, will decide to proceed directly =
into Vancouver at this point. The Sea to Sky Highway to Whistler, =
gorgeous as it is, will be under construction in preparation for the =
winter Olympics to be held there. The extent of the construction will =
not be known for a while, but we will be able to provide an update. Most =
(myself included) won't want their Jaguars subjected to gravel and the =
inevitable delays. But the important thing is that travellers be in =
Vancouver of the Friday night (May 21) in preparation for the Van Dusen =
All British Show the next morning. The cars go on the field by 9:30 and =
leave around 4 PM. It is not to be missed if you love beautiful cars, in =
a beautiful setting. There will be a dinner that night, and the next =
morning (Sunday) we head off to parts east. The "hand off" will, I think =
be done at the dinner.  =20
                                            Gregory

----- Original Message -----=20