[JONAT] RE: San Diego Addition for 2004; Re: JONAT Route

F. Ronald Rader jonat@autox.team.net
Thu Oct 16 09:51:02 2003

--=====================_4310388==.ALT

JONAT:
I agree with Mark.
If we skip Las Vegas we can drive the back roads to San Diego. from Phoenix.
I would think the SD club could arrange something fun (SD automotive
museum) for that night then drive the back roads to LA to arrive early.
that would pick up 2 days since there is a over night in LV.
I vote to dump LV (which does not have a coordinator and pick up SD (Hazel,
your elected) which now has a coordinator. the three of us can try to work
it out.
Thoughts?
ron Rader
Los Angeles.

At 11:21 PM 10/15/2003, Mark Stephenson wrote:
>Another option (which I keep pushing) is to skip LV altogether. If we don't
>have a LV coordinator and we have an enthusiastic person in SD, we can save
>LV for 2006. For me, I personally would really like to continue on Rt. 66
>toward LA, but if we go to SD it might be better to go from Lake Havasu City
>to Parker, AZ, cross the Colorado River go east on CA-62 and down CA-177 to
>I-10 and take the back roads to San Diego. Keep in mind, this takes us
>across some pretty desolate and hot country, so we'd have to leave very
>early to beat the heat of early May and we might have to plan on an
>overnight stop around midday. (Perhaps a Salton Sea Party?) It would depend
>on the average daytime high temps. I was going to say that's Ron's call, but
>it might be Hazel's.
>
>Mark Stephenson, Sector Coordinator - Arizona
>Jaguar Owners North American Tour (www.jonat.org)
>April 15 - July 4, 2004
>Visit the Pub for route discussions

--=====================_4310388==.ALT

I agree with Mark.<br>
If we skip Las Vegas we can drive the back roads to San Diego. from
Phoenix.<br>
I would think the SD club could arrange something fun (SD automotive
museum) for that night then drive the back roads to LA to arrive early.
that would pick up 2 days since there is a over night in LV.<br>
I vote to dump LV (which does not have a coordinator and pick up SD
(Hazel, your elected) which now has a coordinator. the three of us can
try to work it out.<br>
Thoughts?<br>
ron Rader<br>
Los Angeles.<br><br>
At 11:21 PM 10/15/2003, Mark Stephenson wrote:<br>
pushing) is to skip LV altogether. If we don't<br>
have a LV coordinator and we have an enthusiastic person in SD, we can
save<br>
LV for 2006. For me, I personally would really like to continue on Rt.
66<br>
toward LA, but if we go to SD it might be better to go from Lake Havasu
City<br>
to Parker, AZ, cross the Colorado River go east on CA-62 and down CA-177
to<br>
I-10 and take the back roads to San Diego. Keep in mind, this takes
us<br>
across some pretty desolate and hot country, so we'd have to leave
very<br>
early to beat the heat of early May and we might have to plan on an<br>
overnight stop around midday. (Perhaps a Salton Sea Party?) It would
depend<br>
on the average daytime high temps. I was going to say that's Ron's call,
but<br>
it might be Hazel's.<br><br>
Mark Stephenson, Sector Coordinator - Arizona<br>
Jaguar Owners North American Tour
April 15 - July 4, 2004<br>
Visit the Pub for route discussions <br><br>
&nbsp;-----Original Message-----<br>
From: jonat-admin@autox.team.net
[<a href="mailto:jonat-admin@autox.team.net" eudora="autourl">mailto:jonat-admin@autox.team.net</a>]
On<br>
Behalf Of F. Ronald Rader<br>
I think that the route from Las Vegas to San Diego then to Los Angeles
might<br>
be more interesting than the route from LV to LA.<br><br>
Please keep in mind that when entering Los Angeles there is 5
o'clock<br>
traffic from every direction. A drive from SD to LA which could leave SD
at<br>
8.00 AM would want to be at the west side hotel destination by 2.00 PM if
we<br>
are then going to drive to the Petersen Automotive Museum for a car
corral,<br>
cocktails and dinner.<br><br>
OTOH if we lay over one night in LA, the tour of the Petersen
Automotive<br>
Museum could be on the layover day with the car show and dinner around
6.00<br>
PM.<br><br>
I also think it would be a good way of picking up the large group of
Jag<br>
owners in the greater SD area.&nbsp; IMO I would not spend the extra day
in Las<br>
Vegas. But that is me. As it is now I have arrange for a dinner at
the<br>
Petersen Automotive Museum on Cinco de Mayo (may 5th) 2004. I am sure
that<br>
we could move that out one night if needed.<br><br>
BTW, I spoke with Jason Len of XK's Unlimited (SLO) and he would be
pleased<br>
to provide economic support in a small way. Perhaps a Cocktail party
the<br>
night that we are in SLO?&nbsp; Also he would keep his shop open that
night if we<br>
asked in advance. This could be for buying parts, spares, or minor
repair.<br><br>
It would be great if we had a Las Vegas coordinator. Mark, what do
you<br>
think?<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Ron Rader<br>
Los Angeles Coordinator.<br><br>
At 03:49 PM 10/15/2003, Bob England wrote:<br><br>
Hazel<br>
&nbsp;<br>
It's great to hear from San Diego and I'd sure like to be able to tap
into<br>
your enthusiasm.&nbsp; We have a few options at this point:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
1. (the easiest) is to have a link tour from San Diego up to LA.&nbsp;
That is,<br>
SD would not be on the main route, but there would be a group of San
Diegans<br>
travelling from SD (and back of course) to join up with the tour in LA,
and<br>
hopefully carry on with the Tour a bit from there.&nbsp; We have a few
similar<br>
situations (Reno, Phoenix, and Saskatoon) so far.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
2. we could re-route the tour.&nbsp; We do not have a Co-ordinator for
Las Vegas<br>
as of yet, so an option would be to bypass LV, and go from the
Phoenix<br>
Sector into SD.&nbsp; This would need the cooperation of Los Angeles (Ron
Rader)<br>
and Phoenix (Mark Stevenson) as it would mean a change to their
route.&nbsp; We<br>
have a few flex days in Vancouver that would allow the timing to work
out<br>
(it would effect dates through northern California, Oregon, Washington,
and<br>
the first bit of British Columbia.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
3.&nbsp; leave SD to be included in &quot;Jaguar Owner's North American
Tour - The<br>
Sequel&quot;, perhaps in 2006.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
My preference would be either 1 or 2.&nbsp; <br>
&nbsp;<br>
I think I'll also open up this discussion to all SC's via the mailing
list.<br>
There may be some other valuable comments out there, and those whose
sectors<br>
are effected might want to add in a few comments.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I'm very much looking forward to seeing San Diego participate in some
form<br>
next year.<br>
&nbsp;<br><br>
Bob England<br>
'69 E-Type &amp; '72 XJ6<br>
Jaguar Owner's North American Tour (JONAT)<br>
Route Coordinator<br>
-----Original Message-----<br>
Hello Hazel, this is actually quite a surprise at this point in our<br>
planning.&nbsp; We started over a year ago enlisting interested parties
in the<br>
Tour formation steps which included the routing, length of stay in an
area,<br>
events or sites included along the way and volunteers to help with
their<br>
specific areas along the route.&nbsp; Please do not get me wrong, we are
pleased<br>
that your club is interested in participating in the Tour as one of
our<br>
goals is to provide another opportunity for fellow Jaguar owners to
enjoy<br>
their choice in vehicle ownership and we feel it is an added benefit
to<br>
enjoy the comradery of other owners we can meet on a Tour such as this
as<br>
some tourers will be traveling perhaps a couple of Sectors while others
may<br>
be traveling the entire route.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
We may have a problem adjusting the routing at this late date
though.&nbsp; We<br>
have been organizing the Tour for over the past year, as I mentioned,
and<br>
have already set some dates for certain areas so we can specifically
attend<br>
certain events in those areas.&nbsp; Therefore I am uncertain whether it
will be<br>
possible to adjust the routing for this first Tour without
negatively<br>
affecting other Sector schedules.&nbsp; We can absolutely include the San
Diego<br>
area in the next Tour, I just cannot answer for this coming year at
this<br>
time.&nbsp; I am forwarding my response to my fellow Executive Committee
members<br>
and we shall take a look into this routing change.&nbsp; We will have to
discuss<br>
this with each of the Sector Coordinators &quot;downstream&quot; of your
location and<br>
see what affect it will have on their plans.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Do you have a feel for or better yet a solid number of people from your
Club<br>
which are interested in participating at this time?&nbsp; Do you have
some events<br>
or sites which you could mention to help us with the decision?&nbsp; If
we could<br>
revise the Tour at this point, it looks as though it would be in your
area<br>
around the first week of May 2004.&nbsp; Perhaps a Tour of or dinner
hosted by<br>
the Jaguar Headquarters?&nbsp; Or something along those lines?<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Jamie Duffey - Everett, WA<br>
88 Series III V12 VdP - Roxanne<br>
89 XJS V12 Convertible 2 Seater - ????<br>
Jaguar Owner's North American Tour -
April 15, 2004 - July 4, 2004<br><br>
----- Original Message ----- <br><br>
Hi...my name is Hazel Beck, 1st VP of the San Diego Jaguar
Club...just<br>
wanted to throw our hat into the ring to be added to the Tour Route...we
are<br>
a very active club with 180 members...there is also a large Jaguar
Club<br>
(JOC) in&nbsp; southern Orange County, just north of us...and Jaguar
North<br>
American headquarters (part of the Premier Auto Group) is located
in<br>
Irvine...Orange County again.<br><br>
&gt;From Las Vegas, we are an easy 4-5 hour drive south...it would be
easy to do<br>
Highway 101 (the Coastal Highway) up from San Diego through Orange County
an<br>
up to Los Angeles...it takes less than an hour to get to Orange County
and<br>
additional hour from there to LA...it would add a fabulous dimension
of<br>
automotive history (cruising the 101) and stunning vistas to the
tour.<br><br>
So...this is a formal appeal to add San Diego, America's Finest City, to
the<br>
JONAT.&nbsp; Please feel free to call me if we can help.<br><br>
Regards.<br><br>
Hazel A. Beck<br><br>
858.638.0011<br><br>