[JONAT] Need to start finalizing

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Thu Oct 23 18:49:01 2003

Now that we have the San Diego piece added, I think we really need to start
finalizing.

I suggest that one of the first things we do is add a column to the
itinerary for the overnight accommodations. We may want to add one for
lunch, too, but that would just be so stragglers could find us. Overnight
lodging is particularly important where we are tying in with other events,
because rooms will fill up much quicker. (Rt. 66 Fun Run has about 200
participants before we enter the picture, for example.) Another situation is
in remote areas. At the handoff area between CO and AZ, for example, there
are only two other hotels within 80 miles of where I'd like to stay. We need
to link to the accommodations wherever possible, not only so people can make
reservations, but also because they tout the area and will help sell the
segment. I think our plans at the inns have to be pretty solid before we
post them. We don't want people making reservations only to find out we've
moved somewhere else.

Another column I'd suggest adding would be a special events column. We need
to have links to those so people can get the information and sign up. Here
is the link to the Historic Route 66 Association of Arizona and the Fun Run.

http://www.route66web.com/~azrt66/

I think people will start signing up once it looks like we know where we're
going and staying.

By the way, Bob, instead of staying in Kayenta, we may stay in Monument
Valley about 17 miles away. This was a suggestion made by one of our club
members. The two backup hotels would be in Kayenta. He's working on a
special rate at Gouldings Lodge (www.gouldings.com).

I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

I'm also planning on driving a portion of the route in the next few weeks.
This has been the summer that never ends in Arizona. It was 103F today and
tomorrow is supposed to be 102F. Up until this year, the latest we were in
triple digits was 10/20.

Mark