[JONAT] JONAT 06

Jerry Mouton jonat@autox.team.net
Fri Dec 3 14:17:01 2004

Interesting, after JONAT was over, I swore off doing it again,
but time is an anaesthetic, I guess.  Now I'm starting to think
of new routes!

Mark, you make some good points.

Weekends are important, but kind of get in the way of a continuous
tour.  Perhaps in rethinking JONAT 06, we can take advantage of the
idea that nobody is on a timeschedule to round the whole continent, and
add in more rest days so that all sectors center around a weekend.
I believe our San Francisco sector benefitted a lot from having a
Friday evening start.  Well, I guess our Tuesday - Wednesday section was
also
pretty well attended.  Anyway, making the tour a group of linked weekend
tours sounds like a good idea to me.  Having the sector stop in the central
city of the sector in the middle is helpful, too, since people can either
start
out at home or end up at home, no loop drives required.

Our sector was completely simple.  Since I did it pretty much by myself, and
I don't care that much for "events", I concentrated on great roads and
great sites to visit.  The driving was the high point, (it was certainly
the high point to me), after getting to interact with such a neat and
diverse
group of people.  Everyone seemed to enjoy the (pretty spirited) driving,
though perhaps some thought it was a bit much.    The "events" were dinners
and lunches.  In any case, I think I can equal or exceed the JONAT 04
turnout
in 06.

Despite misgivings, everyone without exception wanted to eat together, and
drive the same route.  Every meal was interesting.  We did a few "found"
events,
like the Sonoma Farmers' Market.  Serendipity and enjoyment.  And extra were
the
amazing contributions by some of our participants, like Roy and Rose
Swearingen's
wine tasting and wine country tour (for Fazal).  We were lucky (I guess) to
have no
breakdowns.  The FRS radios made it really fun, too, as we could all discuss
scenery and history as we drove by.

I asked our local club for help, and got little response.  On the other
hand, several
of our club stalwarts showed up for the tour and made it much better.  This
time I think
there will be interest in helping to plan the tour...JCNA involvement won't
make our
sector better.  Actually, having more than 8 - 10 cars would make the whole
deal
a lot less interesting.

The work to put together a tour like the SF sector was really pretty
minimal.
Adding "Events" would make it much harder.  We'll be simple next time, too.
The turnout was partly people I know well who also enjoy driving.  The other
real draw was the route -- including many places that everyone always
wants to drive to/through, and a few new places.  Getting together with
other people you know is not enough to bring you out for 3-4 days on the
road and in restaurants and hotels.

I put an article in the club newsletter, and polled several times on
the jag-lovers forum.  Next time I'll get the club article up a little
sooner.

The tour itself was so much fun that even if nobody else signs up, I'll
go out and do it by myself and count it a geat event!  Maybe I'll even
try to help in the Texas sector, too, and make that work.  There are some
dynamite roads and areas that would be much enjoyed back in there.
Having a retired SC makes all this a lot easier ; -)

About routes:
My tendency would be to make a completely different route
next time -- especially if we come through North to South, I'd drive
the Sierra and volcanoes as well as the ocean.

But maybe it would be better to just run the same route again?
Two years between might be long enough to make people interested
in doing the same roads again?  What do you all think?

Jerry

Jerry Mouton    '64 E Type FHC    "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"