[JONAT] I am Jonat!

Bob jonat@autox.team.net
Wed Jun 2 21:40:02 2004

Alan

You are too pessimistic I think based on the part of the Tour I was involved
in.  We must have had 10 cars at the start of our Sector at Cypress Hills.
Last night we had a great turnout at a show and shine at the local IMAX
theatre.  Must have been 30 cars out and the public was there until dark
(about 10pm).  Ian and his group had arranged some great publicity on radio
and two of the TV stations, and another article and photo in the newspaper.

I have come to the conclusion that the Tour is what you can make of it.
With organization and publicity, you can get an excellent turnout, even in a
City of less than 200,000 people!

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: jonat-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:jonat-admin@autox.team.net] On
Behalf Of Alan Heartfield
Sent: June 2, 2004 9:19 PM
To: jonat-chat@autox.team.net; JONAT@autox.team.net
Subject: [JONAT] I am Jonat!

Hello all,

Jonat has degenerated into a modern-day version of the pony express.  Ian
Bailey
rushed Jay out to the end of the Regina sector today.  Mike Scales was along
in
his Apollo, but Ian's was the only Jag.  I met him all alone in my XJS, we
transferred all the paraphenalia, had an ice cream and a quick chat and each
re-
traced our steps home.  All 300 km of them.  So the 'tour' is down to single
cars
now. And it looks like for the rest of the Winnipeg sector at least, Jay
will not even
be travelling in a Jaguar.  I hope he will catch a ride in a Jensen to
Minnesota, but
if not, then it'll be in the  back of a UPS truck.
Speaking for myself, but I suspect others also, the Canadian turnout has
been
very disappointing.  And it looks like the rest of the US section is going
to be a bit
thin, also.  What happened to all the tourers?  Doesn't anyone 'truck'
anymore?  If
it wasn't for Regina (of all places) Western Canada would have had almost no

participants at all.
Ian said there is talk of making it mandatory that everyone do the sectors
before
and after their home sector as a minimum.  Good idea, but how many would
commit then?  Something has to change.  A tour of one or two cars is no tour
at
all.
Perhaps a change in route so people could take a mini-tour would work.  In
other
words, make it possible for people to loop around a section of the continent
and do
it in no more than 4 weeks.  Calgary-Denver-SF-Vcvr-Calgary or
Phoenix-LA-SF-
Denver-Phoenix for example.  Well, maybe Lethbridge.  Calgary has had its
chance :-).
Tonight Jay is resting at the corner of 50 and 100, almost spack dap on top
of the
Central Meridian.  Lets hope he has as good a trip home as he has had
getting to
the middle of the continent.
Bob - glad to hear you are online again, but at what cost! Ian says you had
some
'help' in the disaster.   Remember the 'P' in PC means Personal.  What
happened
- did a PBX destroy your modem?  Surely it can't have been a software
problem?

Buffalo Alan
Winnipeg Sector Co-ordinator and Express Rider.