[JONAT] Why the low turnout in many areas?

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Fri Jun 25 01:47:01 2004

Jerry,

You're right, holing up during the week would probably increase the
participation. ;-) That's why I think the best compromise is to have
each sector have at least one weekend day whenever possible. This would
work best when the weekend sector hand-off is away from a metropolitan
area and the Wednesday hand-off is in a metro area. Unfortunately, most
events happen on the weekend in metro areas, so people who wanted to
attend a big event would have to either drive to an outlying point and
return with JONAT before the event or drive away from the metro area
with JONAT after the event and return. That might discourage a few
people in the weekend metro area, but it would encourage people in the
previous or next major town to join the route. In any case it's far
preferable to a mid-week sector. I think it's something that we keep in
mind as we set up the sectors.

As far as alternate routes go, I think it depends on if we run the 2006
JONAT at the same time of year, from the same start point, in the same
direction, and through the same general areas. Once we decide those
issues, the route will start to fall in place. For those of us doing the
same sector, with two years having passed, I think there will be a lot
of people interested in retracing the route.

Mark - AZ