[JONAT] Arizona Sector Report - Update!

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Fri Mar 5 00:27:01 2004

We held our club's monthly meeting last night and I learned that there
aren't 200 cars on the Fun Run -- it's more like 600-800 cars. If a
anyone wants to see what that's like, just do a search-engine search on
"66 Fun Run" either in quotes or the exact phrase. You'll find stories
of the fun from clubs of all types.

Here's an especially good one about last year's run with a good
cross-section of the types of cars that participate.
http://www.gazette9.com/rt66/funrun/03funrun.htm.

Mark

<snip>

It will be an early departure Saturday morning, May 1. We have to catch
up with the Route 66 Fun Run who will be departing from the little
roadside town of Seligman. We will be a part of an entourage of at least
200 cars of all types from modern to hot rods to classics to trucks. The
Fun Run costs $44 and the proceeds benefit the Route 66 Association,
dedicated to preserving the Mother Road. Peach Springs, AZ is the site
of the Hualapai Indian Tribe's Barbecue. If you want to eat there, pay
$6 with your Fun Run registration. I'm sure there are some special
tribal events associated with the lunch. Having driven Route 66 just a
couple weeks ago, this is truly a piece of Americana. Taking the trip
with friends and period cars will make the experience even more
enjoyable. I've wanted to join the Fun Run for years, but kids' soccer,
car shows, and other things have always gotten in the way. I'm really
looking forward to it, and hope the XK120 holds out.

<snip>

Mark - AZ