[JONAT] Lessons learned from the Phoenix Sector

Bob jonat@autox.team.net
Tue May 4 23:37:03 2004

GREAT FEEDBACK !  This will help all the downstream planners.

ONE OTHER THING you did which was great as far as figuring out the record
keeping.  By writing down who took a plate or vinyl, and if it was an
on-site registration or a late pre-paid registration, it helped me a lot
figuring out what was what.  I hope the downstream SC's do the same!

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: jonat-admin@autox.team.net [mailto:jonat-admin@autox.team.net]On
Behalf Of Mark Stephenson
Sent: May 4, 2004 1:52 PM
To: jonat@autox.team.net
Subject: [JONAT] Lessons learned from the Phoenix Sector

Being the first large (10+ cars) sector on the tour I learned a few
lessons from the experience that some of you may find helpful.

1. Don't over organize. As much as possible, try to avoid the mission
critical, cast-in-stone, have-to-be-there-at-a-certain-time things.
That's where the biggest headaches will occur.

2. It's real easy to get behind. For the people who want to stay
together the start time each day is critical. If there are specific
things on the schedule that are happening at certain times (which is a
contradiction to #1, but sometimes unavoidable), everyone has to be
gassed up and ready to go at the departure time. If they aren't, tell
them they'll have to catch up. After a day or so they'll catch on. Stick
to the schedule until you get to the appointed place at the appointed
time.

3. Maps and instructions are primarily for the SCs. They are great for
posterity and essential if someone is separated, but less than half of
the participants read them. They follow you and the few who do. This is
especially true of the navigatorless participants. Don't expect everyone
to know what you are talking about if you refer to something in the
maps. Also, if you have a small group and lose a couple in traffic or at
lights (something we don't have many of in Northern Arizona) you might
want to wait because they will probably spend ten minutes just trying to
figure out where they are in the instructions they've never looked at.

4. Have lots of stops -- mid-morning, lunch, mid-afternoon. Two hours
driving without a stop should be the maximum.

Mark - AZ