[JONAT] JONAT San Francisco Sector Report -- May 10th and 11th (very long).

Jerry Mouton jonat@autox.team.net
Sun May 16 21:26:01 2004

Continuing the report...

After arriving in San Francisco, I led Craig and Fazal to
the University Club (swanky!) on Nob Hill (I felt as if
my clutch was gonna be toast!), then went
home to take my rest day.  We'll have to get a report
from them about their day, but I know that Roy Swearingen
did another classy outing -- picked up Fazal and they
got a first-class wine tasting day in Napa.  Fazal needs
to fill in the details, but I really had to point out Roy's
generosity once again.  I understand all participants had fun!

Tuesday morning the crew -- mostly a new crew -- gathered
in the perfect sunny weather in front of the Golden Gate Bridge
and the sweeping Bay vista at San Francisco's Marina Green.
They included

Craig Talbot and Fazal Cader in the '92 Black Cherry V12 VdP
Dick France and Norma in a white '72? V12 E Type 2+2
Henryk Kramek in a new blue X Type
Kate Mouton and me in MIK Jaguar, '64 E Type FHC

There was one other J.A.G. member to see us off who was not
able to join us; sorry, I have forgotten his name.

At about 9:45 we set off, crossing the Golden Gate with the
late morning traffic.  We stopped at the vista point across the
bridge, and it was uncrowded.  The beautiful weather -- no
fog, lots of sun, 65 degrees F -- and spectacular view before us
seemed to hold us there a  little longer than planned.

This was a problem/benefit of the day, as we dawdled at several
spots longer than planned.  As we were not going to meet
anyone on the road on this leg, and everyone was having such
a good time, it seemed the right thing to do.

Proceeding up Hwy 101 and turning through Mill Valley into the
wilds of Marin County, we found to my surprise that the normally
crowded Hwy 1 in this area -- a twisty and pleasant drive -- was
nearly free of traffic.  This road can be the height of frustration -- great
car, great weather, great road, and 42 SUVs and minivans going
12 MPH.  Not today!  We got to enjoy the turns to the best possible
effect.  And the further up Mount Tamalpais we got, the twistier
and more deserted the road became.

A sports car or sports sedan (e.g. any Jaguar), when properly applied,
is in fact a thrill-ride construction kit.  You get to design your own
roller coaster by the roads you choose and the way you use them.
On this leg, in fact the whole Northern section of the SF Sector,
we spent a lot of time constructing roller coasters and riding them.
This was great fun for the drivers on the trip.  The road up Mount
Tam, and back down, was the first ride of the day.

When we got to the view spot at the top of the mountain, we were
bowled over by the scene.  All of the Bay Area laid out at our feet,
the bay, the Ocean, the mountains, the city, the bridges.  Incredible.
Amazingly, Fazal continues to claim that Australia has the US beat
as a site for awesome vistas -- this I have to see to believe!

Retracing our steps down Mt. Tam, we turn North on Hwy 1, and the
pavement turns more rolling than twisty.  We roll by Point Reyes,
or "Nova Albion",
the putative landing spot used by Sir Francis Drake on his round
the world voyage to rest and renew his ships.  This controversial claim
was strengthened when an old brass plate was discovered with
evidence of this stay.  Unfortunately it turned out to be a scholarly
hoax...

By Tomales Bay, the wind kicked up quite a bit -- the bay was
whipped into whitecaps and windrows.  Did not affect the
cars much, and we drove on through coastal pastures and
small picturesque towns.

Arriving at Bodega Bay, we ate at The Tides, which was the
restaurant featured in "The Birds".  The Swearingens joined us here,
and we took a long seafood lunch, chatting about various topics, all
the while scanning our clear view of the Bay.

Heading further up the coast, we hugged the tops of the seaside
cliffs, admiring the deep blue ocean water being turned turquoise
around the jagged huge rocks that had fallen in eons past.

At Jenner we turned East, following the scenic Russian River.
We took a strange detour courtesy of the Microsoft Streets
and Trips software -- the exact point highlighted turned out
to have been placed (by me) just on the other side of the river.  So,
we drove into deeper and narrower redwood-lined roads
to the entrance of the Bohemian Club -- then the itinerary took us
right back down the same roads to where we had detoured!
Fun, but confusing.  Note to coordinators: check your map
route instructions very carefully before following them!

We left the river and drove through a vineyard and orchard
area to Sebastopol, then through Santa Rosa on a freeway,
to the North end of the Sonoma Valley.  This valley is full of
famous vineyards and wineries, and the curvy, wooded roads end
in Sonoma.  It's a very nice little town, preserved in its pre-
hype form for the most part.  We stopped on the courthouse
square and had refreshments at a local restaurant.  Jay
the Jaguar climbed on the Bear Republic Monument in the
square, and the Swearingens produced more good wine
to enjoy.

As we set out to leave, we saw that the Sonoma Farmers' Market
was just about to open in the square,. and we decided to stay and
visit.  We bought fresh fruit and more, and had a relaxing amble
through.

We left Sonoma back up the valley by another road, then crossed
a twisty thrill ride through the mountains to Oakville and Napa Valley.
A short drive took us to St. Helena, a quaint little town where we
stopped for the night at the Hotel St. Helena, a very atmospheric
(read: cramped) hotel on the main drag.  For dinner we walked
to Tra Vigne, one of the top Napa Valley restaurants.  We were
"forced" to take an outdoor table -- actually in a charming tree-covered
garden.  The great weather made it just fine for a late dinner meal.
Interestingly, the entree prices were lower than several of the more
"ordinary" places earlier in the tour.  However, with the wines
we drank, it all evened out into the sub-stratospheric range.

We arrived about 1 1/2 hours later than scheduled,
too late for any winery tours or wine tasting, unfortunately.
Fazal got his fill the day before, and the rest of us can come
up any day we like.  The extra time at several spots were
well worth the delay.

Another great day -- quite different from the other days.  in fact,
every day was quite distinct in its drive and scenery, and stops.

One more day to go -- in another note.

Jerry

Jerry Mouton    '64 E Type FHC    "Laissez les bons temps rouler!"
      Jaguar Owner's North American Tour - http://jonat.org
      April 15, 2004 - July 4, 2004