[JONAT] Re: JONAT digest, An Oregon possibility...

jonat@autox.team.net jonat@autox.team.net
Sun Apr 3 13:45:03 2005

Hello Mark, et. al -- A few of us in Oregon are organizing "The Golden Leaf
Tour" -- a 2-day car tour on the Rogue-Umpqua National Scenic Byway with a
sidetrip into Crater Lake National Park (including the 33-mile Rim Drive) on
October 1-2 this autumn (2005).  This is an alternative arching route into the
Cascade Mountains from I-5 that takes in a significant share of beautiful
Southwest Oregon with many waterfalls, forested mountains and over 70 miles of highway
paralleling two National Wild & Scenic rivers of the North Umpqua and the
Upper Rogue. Near both portals on I-5 we can catch a connecting route at Grants
Pass (Hwy 99) and Sutherlin (Hwy 38) to Hwy 101, if we want to repeat this
offering and connect it to a JONAT event that would probably follow the Pacific
Coast All-American Road (101) again in 2006 .  That means we could work the bugs
out this year (2005) on the interior section.  This is an activity of the
Jaguar Club of Oregon.

If that is something people may be interested in, then I might agree to be
the Assistant SC in 2006.  Knowing that JCNA insurance will cover is reassuring
-- I think I misunderstood what "sanctioning" involved which apparently
applies only to Concours, Rallies and Slaloms.  And being able to add non-members to
a tour for a $5 fee is a good thing -- and a wonderful way to add members to
local organizations as well.  This would be a "modified" approach to a loop
tour -- rather, an arch off a main interstate, and because Crater Lake is
snow-country, the Rim is only accessible most usually after the 4th of July.  The
Rogue-Umpqua NSB is open year round because they plow it in winter above the
3500 foot elevation if we get any snow (that's been rare of late).  Point here,
is that the timing would be important.  Fall would be best because of the
wonderful fall color....

Christina Lilienthal
2004 Oregon ASC