[JONAT] Getting the map together

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Mon Apr 11 01:13:01 2005

Hazel,

I probably confused everyone with that "C" description. We would be starting
about a third of the way around the "C." The route will start in Seattle at
JCNA's AGM. I'm not sure of the date yet, but it's usually during the last
couple weeks of March. This year, because of Easter, it was April 1-3. My
guess is that next year it will end March 26, but it could be March 19 or
April 2.

As I said, this is about as fixed as quicksilver, but based on the folks who
have committed so far, we'd come down the West coast and cross into Arizona
along the Mexican border, then go north across Arizona. From there, if we
can get the Wasatch Mtn. JC involved, we'd continue straight up to probably
Salt Lake City and over to Robert MacLeay in Colorado (probably Denver).
Then if we can interest the clubs, Kansas (Great Plains JOA), Oklahoma (JC
of Central OK and/or JC of Tulsa), and south to Texas. From there, there are
enough clubs across the South, up the East Coast, and into the Rust Belt or
across the border in Canada, that I expect the route east of the Mississippi
will be determined by who chooses to carry the torch. I'm not sure whether
to be worried about it being dropped or fought over by a bunch of clubs. I'd
rather have the latter problem.

Then we face the vast expanses of the Upper Great Plains where the last club
on the road west is Milwaukee, on the east edge of Wisconsin, and the next
club is on the Pacific Coast. Fortunately we have Bob's buddy Alan
Heartfield (hopefully) in Manitoba, Bob in Regina, Saskatchewan, and John
McEwen in Edmonton, Alberta. We'll see about Vancouver, but since we're
ending somewhere east of Portland at the Western States Meet July 11, and
since we will have already headed down the coast from Seattle to Portland,
we might consider a route down from Calgary through Montana? Idaho? or
eastern Washington. That's a long way, so we'd probably need a SC in Calgary
to cover the first half and one in Portland to cover the other.

To tie it all together, the tail end of the tour from Edmonton to Portland
makes the first third of the "C" and the trip from Seattle to Colorado makes
the last two-thirds.

That's my fuzzy concept at the moment, anyway.

If we are going to have an LA SC, then you should probably see if you can
get an ASC from IEJC. I know Rusty and Jo love to drive, so they might be a
good choice, but it's up to you. You and they can work out the route from
PAG to AZ.

I'm trying to determine if I need someone from JC of S AZ as a SC or just an
ASC with our club's SC. It depends on Las Vegas JC and Wasatch Mtn JC taking
a sector. So it will all fall into place as soon as we have all the web
infrastructure in place and make the big announcement at JCNA.

Mark - JCNA Coordinator