[JONAT] Getting the map together - So are you guys coming to Vancouver???

Mark Stephenson jonat@autox.team.net
Tue Apr 19 21:44:00 2005

Jamie,

Well, we don't have a loop defined yet, and from the offers for SCs that I
have right now, it starts out pretty convoluted.

Our start point is the AGM which I have received information is tentatively
scheduled for March 31, and April 1 & 2. I'm wondering if we can get them to
back that up a week, but even if not, we'll still come down the West Coast,
where we have SCs for everything but Portland and LA. (Christina is offering
to be ASC which will provide needed continuity.) I saw Ron Rader this
weekend and didn't think to ask him about LA.

The next stop is Phoenix with help from the Tucson club and Vegas. I'd like
to get Salt Lake City involved. Robert MacLeay is willing to run the
Colorado sector again and then it's part way through Kansas, the KC club
could handle a loop into Central Kansas but the club is pretty small, so we
might arrange a handoff with the Oklahoma City and Tulsa Clubs, then Dallas,
Austin, and Houston clubs can organize something through Texas. At that
point, we've hit every club between Seattle and the Louisana border --about
a third of the way around the continent.

There are so many clubs east of the Mississippi that it will be difficult to
include them all. I'm actually hoping that a few won't be interested so I
(and we) don't have to make too many difficult choices. In the rest of Dixie
there is a club in LA, two clubs in TN, one in GA, four in FL, one in SC,
one in NC, and one in VA. If we go that way we miss a very active club in
MO. If we hit MO, we are way east of TX, and we miss them. If we swing that
far south on the northern route, we'll never see eastern Canada.

The Northeast and the Rust Belt on both sides of the border present similar
problems. To be honest, I'm going to wait and see who offers and connect the
dots.

This time around, since it's the first JCNA involvement and we want to be as
organized as possible, I'll give preference to the people who were involved
last time, but in 2008, we should give preference to the clubs who wanted to
do it this time but couldn't be included. If we get a great response from
the clubs, I think the only way we are going to get some clubs involved is
to have them drive to a create a loop that meets the tour at a handoff point
or includes part of the tour as it reaches the closest point, kind of like
what I did last year, since the tour passed 150 miles north of Phoenix.

There are lots of options to allow clubs off the route to be involved. What
we suggest will depend on the circumstances and who takes part.

The Van Dusen would be a great tie-in, but I think it's in early June. We
won't be coming through there until early July, for a rendezvous with the
Western States Meet in Central Oregon on the 14th, I believe.

Mark - JCNA Coordinator