[Kcup] K Cup 2014 Proposal

Bob Kramer bkramer at ascoeq.com
Tue Apr 9 08:29:20 MDT 2013

Friends

I am not sure who all is on the K Cup mailing list but I'm sure you will all
be interested in hearing what the Texas FOT has to propose for 2014. We
hoping to offer up a K-Cup opportunity here in Austin at the Circuit of the
Americas F-1 track, but alas, the daily rental rate for the track has
prohibited our Texas based vintage group from coming to terms with the COTA
people to pull off an annual vintage race at COTA. It may be possible in the
future but for now they are still rigid on their pricing and putting on an
event there is way too risky for our non-profit club.  If you want to race
at COTA, there will be an HSR now SVRA-West event there this October.

What we would like to propose is an event at Eagles Canyon Raceway. There
are a couple of reasons why ECR is a better venue for the K-Cup than COTA.
First there is the location. ECR is in north Texas, about an hour north of
Fort Worth near Decatur TX.  Driving in from all directions makes ECR a
reasonable tow for folks in the Midwest and the southeast, 12.5 hours from
Moline IL and Atlanta GA. It is 20 hours from LA, but still doable. Second,
the CVAR Marvelous May event is held at ECR and includes a British Small
Bore race each year, and we qualify for entry at no extra charge. The 2014
date is tbd but the 2013 date is May 17-19. This is early enough in the year
that the northern folks may be able to make it the first race of the year,
meaning fresh engines! Thirdly, CVAR will let us run in our regular race
groups and give us a Triumph only qualifying session and  the K-Cup race.
The groups separate the pre 1961 TR3's in Group 4, the Spitfires in Group 2
and GT6's, TR4 and TR6's into Group 7. TR8's would have to get a special
waiver to run in Group 1 but I think I can talk them in to that. Lastly CVAR
is affordable, $300.00 for Sat-Sun and $100.00 for Friday Test and Tune,
which alternates between open and closed wheel sessions and will wear you
out while you learn the track. You will want to do test and tune as the
track takes a while to master.

So there is the basic outlines of a proposal for the 2014 Kastner Cup race
if it were to be held in Texas. There is one final benefit to holding it in
Texas. We have 10 FOT racing in Texas now, and we keep growing. One of the
great things about the Kastner Cup has been getting us all together and 10
cars isn't a bad place to start running the numbers up. If that isn't
enough, Bobby Whitehead lives fairly close to ECR. We can all descend on his
Pawn Shop and raise some havoc.

Please respond to all with your thoughts.

Thanks!

Bob Kramer

ASCO Equipment

Branch Manager Austin/Manor