[Mailman] 16-bolt fix-up

gunnellj tds.net gunnellj at tds.net
Mon Jan 14 18:28:19 MST 2013

A number of years ago a friend of mine had a nice MG TF and over one winter
he freshened the car. He told me that he took the body off to clean and
paint the chassis, touch up the engine, etc. I asked how he did this so
quickly and he told me "I only had to remove about 16 bolts and lift the
body off."
 Now I have taken a few TDs apart since then, but not a TF. It seems like
the process of body removal takes a bit more work than removing 16 bolts.
Also, based on what I know and the fact that the TF hood sides are
stationary, it would seem to me that it might be harder to lift the body
off a TF.
 The reason I ask these questions is that my TF 1250 really needs at least
two body "timbers" replaced. The rear bottom rail (Moss 449-130) has worn
so thin I'm surprised it hasn't snapped in two yet. The tank backboard
(Moss 449-125) has been mushy since I first got the car. You can push your
fingers into it.
 So, i am looking for the "16-bolt" way to remove the body and replace
these two parts.
 Am I dreaming?
 John Gunnell

--

"Gunner"

John Gunnell
PO Box 87
Iola, WI 54945
Ph: 715-445-4262
Cell: 715-281-5925

LIVIN' THE DREAM

Please visit Gunner's Great Garage

Restoration Shop - Automotive Book Shop - Art Gallery

E6110 Fuhs Rd, Manawa, WI 54949

Cell: 715-281-5925 (anytime)

 Take A Slide Show Tour of the Shop at  www.gunnersgreatgarage.com

Check my blog Gunner's Garage at www.oldcarsweekly.com

Publications and Websites I Contribute To: Old Cars Weekly, Old Cars
Restoration Guide, For Vettes Only, Amos Auto Enthusiast Weekly (digital),
Auto Enthusiast (print),  Towing & Recovery Footnotes, Auto Restorer,
Vintage Truck, Vette Vues, Free Riders Press, Second Chance Garage, Garage
Style, Ol Skool Rodz, Car Kulture Deluxe, Gunner's Great Garage News
(blog), Gunner's Garage (blog), Super Chevy, Muscle Car Review, Smoke
Signals, Pontiac Registry (Website), Classic Motorsports, Gearhead News,
Keith Lasrsen Show Newstalk 1110 / WBLT Radio  Charlotte, N.C., Muzzy
Broadcasting System's Legends of Country B-104.9 Stevens Point WI &
Occasional Others.