[Mg-mmm] New fuel tank to new J2 tub

Richard and Gill Morbey gd.morbey at virgin.net
Wed Dec 31 11:53:42 MST 2008

Gary
Try looking on the Triple-M discussion forum - see

www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2012&SearchTerms=rubber

this relates to my PA, but I'm fairly sure a similar setup is used on the J

"On my PA, which still had the original body when I bought it in 1974, there
were three strips of rubber between the rear of the body and the petrol
tank.

One was horizontal, about three quarters the width of the tank and was
screwed to the body about one inch below the top of the tank. The other two
were about one foot long and were mounted vertically each side of the body a
bit inboard from the edge of the tank.

>From memory, the strips were about 3/8 or 1/2 inch in section and about one
and a half inches wide.

I replaced the rubbers with new material but the only change I made was to
the top strip. This had collected water over the years and made the tank
rusty - there being nowhere for the water to run away. I therefore used two
top strips with a gap in the centre and angled them down a few degrees to
allow water to drain down.

There are also similar rubbers that sit on the chassis side rails underneath
the petrol tank, to isolate it from road shocks.

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA 0743