[Mg-mmm] J2 oil filter

Bob Grunau grunau.garage at sympatico.ca
Mon Apr 6 09:58:31 MDT 2009

Hi J2 Owners,
Some of you might be interested in a J2 oil filter installation. I have what
I think is a really neat and easy solution. It looks right without a lot of
extra external plumbing. Basically the J2 filter adapter replaces the
original flat 1/8" steel oil pump cover, the adapter simply bolts onto the
pump and accepts a modern screw-on oil filter. The only permanent revision
require to the original J2 engine is to enlarge the oil connection at the
lower right side of the dynamo gear case to 1/4" NPT or 1/4" BSP instead of
1/8" BSP.  This connection originally fed oil to the cylinder head. Filtered
oil leaves the adapter and supplys oil to this 1/4" fitting through a new
external 3/8" oil line. Feed to the overhead valve gear is direct off the
oil filter adapter through a 1/8" NPT fitting. The oil pump original supply
feed is plugged to stop oil feed to the main oil gallery through the
internal oil wayt in the front gear cover.

If anyone is interested I can supply more details and photos of the oil
filter adapter for the J2.

Of course, the same adapter will also fit an M Type and F Type and possibly
other MMM cars.
I have a few adapters for sale.
Best regards,
Bob Grunau