[Mg-mmm] P-Type Dynamo.

jay at ukhistoric.com jay at ukhistoric.com
Sun Apr 12 08:35:42 MDT 2009

Hi all!

Working on solving a dynamo problem on a P-type, PB engine.  Unit does not
seem to be charging.  I removed the dynamo from the engine and found that
due to oil and grime build-up, the brushes were frozen in the holders.
While removing the small third-brush, I managed to break it.

So, a few questions:
1) Is there a US source for a set of brushes?  Any generic part numbers I
could even give to my local rebuild shop?
2) Should the unit be dismantled to clean?  Remove the crank gear?  Any
other tricks to opening the unit?  Or just leave alone and clean the brush
holders as best as possible?
3) Can the third brush be adjusted on the bench?  I needed to move it to
remove the brush but marked the original position.  Or just follow the
adjustment procedure once back on the car?

Thanks!
Jason.
P1237.