[Mg-mmm] Water in the sump

TATERRY at aol.com TATERRY at aol.com
Fri Apr 17 15:24:11 MDT 2009

In a message dated 4/17/2009 11:59:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
grunau.garage at sympatico.ca writes:

> I would pressure test the water system and see where the water is leaking.
> If the sleeves are leaking, or the block was repair welded, maybe time for
> new block.
>
> It is possible for the water pump seal to allow water to leak into the
> sump.
> Hopefully that is your problem.
>
> I would pull the sump before pulling the head. Then pressurize the cooling
> system and look for leaks around the cylinder bores or sleeves.

Thanks to all who replied so far....yes this block has been sleeved back to
standard, but by a very competent engine builder sadly now passed away.
It also had 17 inches of stiching done on the water jacket but I don't think
a failure there would do anything to leak into the sump.....I'm hopeful that
it is the water pump as I had it overhauled in Oz some years ago and it was
very corroded for starters....How do I pressurize the cooling system as
suggested my Mr. Grunau?

Terry<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>Access 350+ FREE radio stations anytime from anywhere on
the web. Get the Radio Toolbar!
(http://toolbar.aol.com/aolradio/download.html?ncid=emlcntusdown00000003)</HTML>